Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me some info on this frog? Or point me in the direction of a decent caresheet. I am mainly looking for necessary environment needs. Are they more arboreal or terrestrial? I heard that they needed a bog type tank. Is this accurate? Also, what is their personality like? Shy or bold? Aggressive?

Any info is appreciated,

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Green Banded Morph

Well I can't speak for all of the morphs, but I can tell you about the narrow green banded morph. I love these frogs and I would consider them very easy to keep, and to breed as well. Mine are active and bold. They are out all day, and call a whole lot! They do well in groups, aren't aggressive. and are great eaters (eat larger food items). Mine do climb quit often, kind of like leucs. I think they would appreciate some height to their tanks, but it isn't needed. I would give them more floor space, but have some height to the tank. I have had them in a nice set up with a waterfall and everything, as well as haveing them in a broken down temp tank and they have done well in both (have bred in both as well). I think any normal dart frog tank would do them well. Just keep them humid and fat, and you will have good results. A really cool frog, one I highly recommend if you are interested in active frogs with nice calls.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although a couple of mine hang out in broms, I wouldn't call the arboreal. But they are bold and active with quite a nice call. I can't see where they need anything different from the average Tinc.

By the way Jbeetle, do you happen to know what 'line' our frog are?

Joe

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I hate to say it, but there is not a great history on the line I am breeding. They are from a German importation years ago, but thats about all the info I could find on them. They are from Justin Yeager, so I guess they are his line? If you find some one with more info on this or another line please let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I have a 29 with a ledge halfway up that I think they would like. It will be a ways of but I want to have a "true" pdf, and they are the prettiest in my opinion. The nice call is an added bonus.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are some very cool frogs.I have P.vittatus and P.bicolors and they have great calls but what I have heard is auro's have the best sounding call of them all.
Get them babies breeding JB,LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark W.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
auros size

They do have an awesome call! They are around the size of leucs. Actually when you think about it they share a lot in common with leucs, but are easier to breed and also are more bold.

To Mark:
As far as getting them breeding again, well I just pulled 23+ eggs from them (and I do mean just right now, as this post reminded me to check their tank lol), so I should have a bunch very soon :D !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: auros size

jbeetle said:
As far as getting them breeding again, well I just pulled 23+ eggs from them (and I do mean just right now, as this post reminded me to check their tank lol), so I should have a bunch very soon :D !
can you post a pic of the parents please?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
great frogs!

I had a few of them in the past as well and they are really awesome frogs! Mine didn't seem as bold as the other Phyllobates (ie, terribilis and bicolor) but were very viewable. They are smaller than bicolors being around the size of an arautus or male azureus. I can't speak on breeding them as I believe I had all females as none of them called at all and they were all 3 pretty fat (doesn't say much for this species though ;) ). All in all, I agree with the rest of these guys and highly recommend them as they are a very overlooked species that deserves a second look. I plan on picking up a pair before long as I miss the ones I had.

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jbeetle said:
Thanks. They are a very nice frog that is overlooked by many, like Bill said. I want to get some of the other "morphs" one day. Again, sorry for taking so long to respond to your post.
No problem, and I might be interested in taking a couple off your hands if the chance comes along.

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.