Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am afraid my lack of AC is going to be deadly to my frogs...

When I'm home it is fine. I have the windows open and can turn a fan on if it gets too hot. When I'm at work it is another story all together. When I got home today the thermometer read 84 degrees. It is cheap and I don't know how accurate it is so I put a second thermometer in there to get a second opinion, It read 82 (but was further down in the tank).

To add to the problem, it wasn't that hot of a day today.... I rent, and my apartment is pretty much an attic so all the heat comes straight my way when the weather warrants it. The tank is not ventilated.

I live in upstate NY, so heat is not an issue most of the year, but from june to august I am going to have issues.

When I got home I opened the tank, misted, fed, and the frogs seem to be fine. I however, am not convinced that that is any indication of future success.

So my questions are:

1. What would you consider the maximum acceptable temp range for dendrobates auratus?

2. It there any (cheap preferably) way to keep my temps down in the summer months?(window AC not an option since they are older style crank out at an angle windows)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, I already raised the light fixture thinking that this was the root of my problem and it produced no measurable results

·
Registered
713 Posts
Buy a cheap clip-on fan at Wallmart or K-mart and attach it to the end of the tank facing the lights. You may need to mount two on eaither side of the viv depending how hot it'll get later on. Also always keep your windows open, and pull the shades half way down. That'll allow air circ. but also keep hopefully the bulk of the heat out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that I think that an extra fan is a bad idea but I feel it doesn't really get to th heart of my issue... When I got home, it was probably 84 in the tank and about the same in my apartment.

What I was hoping to find is some sort of DIY chiller or the like. Anyone ever heard of anything like that?

·
Registered
802 Posts
You can get portable ACs that aren't the window-kind. They have hoses you put in the window, so they would fit in one of the old twist-open windows (if they are what I think they are). Not the cheapest option, but maybe you could find something on Craigslist.

Keep your blinds down during the day. Adding thick curtains can also make a difference with heat coming in through the windows (which may or may not be your problem since you live on the top floor and you may be getting cooked from underneath).

·
Registered
215 Posts
You can get portable ACs that aren't the window-kind. They have hoses you put in the window, so they would fit in one of the old twist-open windows (if they are what I think they are). Not the cheapest option, but maybe you could find something on Craigslist.

Keep your blinds down during the day. Adding thick curtains can also make a difference with heat coming in through the windows (which may or may not be your problem since you live on the top floor and you may be getting cooked from underneath).
YES, very good suggestions. The stand-alone AC units work well enough, and putting something heavy over the window helps, especially if the window faces south or west. If it faces north or east, though, it may not be worth it. I use comforters. A fan blowing across the top of the tank also helps dissipate any heat coming from the lights...made about a 5 degree difference in my tank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Peanutbutter: I know exactly what you sre talking about but they run about 200. Not a bad investment either way but I would like to get off cheaper if possible.

The lights are 65w PC fixture but they are suspended on chains and I have them lifted well above the tank so as a heat source I don't think they are doing much. It is more of a room tempature issue IMO. I men, its hot in here. I was sweating when I first walked in the door.

The tank sits in a corner and has plenty of room behind it so I'm thinking box fan placed behind it and facing up and at the back pane might be my best bet... I can put it on my timer so that it kicks on automatically during the hotter hours of the day.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If not for the frogs, it might be worth the investment for you :) I can understand not wanting to spend $200 though. If you keep your eyes open on craigslist or other local classifieds you might be able to find something cheaper. I've seen ones like that around here go for under $100.

In fact I picked up 3 window ACs earlier this spring for less than $80 total, but that was during spring cleaning when other people weren't buy AC units. Now I'm just waiting for the heat to really kick in and I'll sell 2 of them. There are a lot of student apartments around here that don't have any sort of AC :) and I now have a window AC for my front room with the frogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.