Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some bamboo type plants in my viv, but there getting really tall. I need to trim them, but don’t want to brown any leaves. Any suggestions?here is a picture.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you cut the tops off, I would expect them to produce side shoots and keep growing. If you repeatedly cut the top off, you're going to wind up with some very odd-looking plants, so these might not be the best choice for a viv.

That said, chopping the tops off shouldn't brown any of the rest of the leaves, as long as the cut doesn't get infected and sicken the plant. Try to cut at an angle, to help avoid water settling on the top. If the plant releases a thick, milky sap, that's likely toxic or an irritant, and needs to not be around frogs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you cut the tops off, I would expect them to produce side shoots and keep growing. If you repeatedly cut the top off, you're going to wind up with some very odd-looking plants, so these might not be the best choice for a viv.

That said, chopping the tops off shouldn't brown any of the rest of the leaves, as long as the cut doesn't get infected and sicken the plant. Try to cut at an angle, to help avoid water settling on the top. If the plant releases a thick, milky sap, that's likely toxic or an irritant, and needs to not be around frogs.
Ok thank you so much!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I did some research, and the plant is lucky bamboo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts