Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other types of amhpibians/lizards go well with darts?
I am thinking about getting a 50gal tank, and I think it might get dull with just two darts.
Thanks
-Beeswaxx

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...I'll probably get the 50gallon tank, build it, nice and slow. Sometime in the summer I will get some darts.
I just was looking at my "dart vivarium funds" and saw that after getting the tank, I wasn't gonna have much money left. For I second I was sort of put off by all this, and the darn prices of darts in Canada.
Like I say, I'll get the tank set up nice and slow, and then see how it goes for other animals later on, after I've had some experience. Afterall, this is my first vivarium.

-Beeswaxx (Back to normal :D )

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Northwest Frog Fest is in Gig Harbor WA, in August. If you're putting off buying frogs until summer, that's a good place to get them. You can look over the animals before you buy, and meet some of the people who are on this forum. It's the biggest frog event in North America aside from maybe IAD. They have a web site that gives details and directions:

http://www.northwestfrogfest.com/

Anyway, keeping other animals together with darts is generally frowned upon, unless you have a large tank (certainly larger than 50 gallons), and a lot of experience. People don't even like mixing species of darts together. Some tropical fish in the water feature if it's large enough might be OK. Other than that, you'd probably end up with stressed (or dead) animals. Anything other than other similar sized amphibians or reptiles (such as tiny Phelsuma geckos) would either eat the frogs or get eaten by them. To say nothing about crafting an environment that would be beneficial to both types of inhabitants. Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done by a beginner? No.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arklier - Thanks for the link, but I think that transporting frogs across the border is frowned upon...

Ed - Wow, great thread. Makes sense to me.

Earlier I was thinking that 50gal would be too much for 2 frogs, but I have changed my mind :? . Now that I think about it, and read that thread, I think 2 will be just fine, and I can always add more same species of frog later.

Thanks
-Beeswaxx

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Well more than 2 of the same species might be ok for some, like most of the phyllobates group, auratus, and some of the mantellas, but some, like tinctorius and azureus don't like much company outside of their mate. In a 50 you could probably get away with more than a pair, but I wouldn't suggest it as a beginner set up.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Depending on the frog of course, I think you should go with a 2.1 or 1.2 ratio.

Luke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.