Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in finding an oorganization or club whos focus is captive breeding of dart frogs and preservation of specific lineages in captivity.

I have the cites import numbers of the grandparents of my tarapoto imis and Id like to register them somewhere if possible just to have a record of it somewhere besides my notebook..

Aside from that specific focus, are there any other good organizations that a hobbyist wanting to due their part should join?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Treewalkers International (and the Amphibian Steward Network) would be a great place to start. Tried to put a link but the website is down...I think they are working on getting it back up and running.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, tree walkers was the first one I tried to go to but like you said the page is down. I guess ill have to just keep checking back.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Peekskill, I recently joined TWI and the steward program for the very same reason.

There is a post somewhere here on Dendro where TWI explained what happened to their site. The problem is tied to notifications being sent to an inactive (or so they thought) adminstrative email addy.

They are working to diligently to resolve it and expected the site to be back up this week.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Peekskill, I recently joined TWI and the steward program for the very same reason.

There is a post somewhere here on Dendro where TWI explained what happened to their site. The problem is tied to notifications being sent to an inactive (or so they thought) adminstrative email addy.

They are working to diligently to resolve it and expected the site to be back up this week.
good news. I will definately be taking a closer look myself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I wandered into this hobby somewhat blindly. I understood the basic husbandry needs of the animals before i got them, but I had done no research at all in to the culture that surrounds the hobby. Now that am i more aware of the perilous situation many of the native populations of frogs are in be it from chytrid, polution, or deforestation, I feel like its my responsibility to try and give back as much as I can to the hobby and the frogs.

I came in to this hobby with visions of a big display tank with 3-4 species of frogs each in their own neat little niche in the tank all happily coexisting... Now that I am more informed Ive made the decision to focus on one species of frog (imi's!!!!) and do what I can to help ensure a viable captive bred population.

The other thing I did was sit down and write out my goals (both long and short term) for the hobby. Idk if thats overkill, but it seemed worthwhile to come up with a plan of attack as I inevitably pick up more vivs, frogs, etc. Rather than haphazardly picking up some dendros, a couple thumbs, and maybe a few other species, I think it is going to be much more rewarding and potentially valuable to focus on a few diff. morphs of imitators and document my observations on the nuances betweem them and any specialized husbandry info I gain along the way.

My ultimate goal is to be able to donate my frogs offspring to zoos and be able to pass of some useful husbandry info along with them.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Treewalkers International (and the Amphibian Steward Network) would be a great place to start. Tried to put a link but the website is down...I think they are working on getting it back up and running.
I've been wondering why I couldn't access the site.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Here is the post I found. It's located over in the Lounge section.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/lounge/72179-twi-website-down.html

I actually like that you went with writing out goals. This hobby pulls you from so many directions. I have put myself on restriction right now and limited myself to the two Exo's and the 50 gallon. Once these are completely finished (Fans,Mist King,HK Net), I will start the design process on the 90. I have a laundry list of other things that need to be done and this 50 is kicking my butt. My point is that it is very easy to get overwhelmed if we're not careful. Being overwhelmed leads to poor frog care.

As a long term goal, I'd really like to get invoved in a TMP at some point once I feel that I'll be able to potentially add value. For now, I'll support the program with cold hard cash and leave the real work to the experts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts