Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at soooo many orchids online lately my brain is going to explode. Anyway, a lot of people think of orchids for flowers, but I've noticed there are some incredible pseudobulbs, foliage, stems, rhizomes, etc. What are some of your favorite orchids regarding any part of the plant EXCEPT the flower?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Lepanthes calodictyon which has a wonderful foliage...don't delve into orchids too much, they are going to eat you alive. They are realy addicting.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Lepanthes calodictyon, Bulbophyllum yasnae, Trichosalpinx chamaelepanthes, Aerangis punctata, Angraecum urschianum, Angraecum linearifolium

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Lepanthes calodictyon which has a wonderful foliage...don't delve into orchids too much, they are going to eat you alive. They are realy addicting.
Too late my friend, tooooo late lol.

I have seen that Lepanthes, it's stunning. I must have one :D ...what are the temp and light requirements?

But in all seriousness, my paludarium needs some more variety in foliage, as everything is looking "flat" right now.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
It's one of the few warmish growing Lepanthes. Good luck finding one reasonably priced in the U.S. though.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Very few people are successful with Lepanthes calodictyon. Andy's Orchids has some (not on their website) that they have to keep in sealed plastic cups to maintain 100% humidity and zero air circulation or they lose them.

I like Pleurothallis dodsonii. The foliage isn't large, but it is very unique.

·
Registered
92 Posts

This is my Lepanthes calodictyon with its flower. It was unfortunate that a slug happened to devour some parts of its leaves.

Pleurothallis dodsoni with its two new leaves growing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That Pleurothallis dodsonii is really cool. I may have to keep an eye out for one of those. The spots remind me of Dischidia hirsuta.

I see that the spotting can vary. Is it dependent on light intensity?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Ornithocephalus gladiatus for the awesome fan shape. Dockrlia cucumerina Dendrobium limpidum

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
who grows orchids in vivs for blooms????

Ha ha, i love orchids for foliage. The best part about them is they don't take over.

I don't even know where to start on my list,

pretty much any pleurothallid - love the lepanthes, trichosalpinx, restrepia,

all of the fan shaped orchids are awesome

probably my favorite for foliage though is Psychopsiella limmenghii. Google it, you will agree! It actually does fairly well in vivs, from my experience

·
Registered
975 Posts
I picked up an aerangis kotschyana a few months ago at a local orchid nursery. It wasn't in flower and it cought my eye right away. two buildings and i kepted coming back to look at these. Their not overly large but it does stick out and give good depth to my viv. Has great black specleing as well. Flower spike shoots out at a 45 deg downward angle which i think is awesome but the flowers aren't all that impressive. I bought it though for the foliage.

I have a good picture on my phone if someone wants to send me their email and post it for me. I have a lack of access to a computer at the moment.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Just found this one today:

Podochilus muricatus

I think I am going to get it for my paludarium. Does anybody know what the max size is on it? If I grow it mounted on the background, how long will the stems sprawl out?
Maybe 6 inches max

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
By almost flowered, do you mean that it is almost ready to bloom or that the bud developed but fell off before blooming?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts