Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting an orchid in the tank I am building right now. I want to mount it directly to the cork, and it needs to fit in a 12h" x 5w" space. It will also be directly under a 2 x 65w cf fixture. Any suggestions and a place to get it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
986 Posts
Matt,

I know I posted on Kingsnake regarding this post as well, but here goes, for anyone else making the leap to orchids. I am by no means an expert, but here are some suggestions:

Haerella odorata--an old standby as a reliable and nice looking mini, nearly always in bloom; but you probably have too much light for this guy

Psygmorchis pusilla--fast growing and doing well in my terrarium with 2 mistings per day and no fan--supposed to only have a 5 year life span; you probably have too much light for this one, too

Epidendrum and Encyclia at http://www.customecos.com --Alex's plants have always done well in my terraria, and his prices are great. Epi 'Joseph Li' has very nice looking flowers, and both of these genera are known for liking good light

I would stay away from Barkerias with the way mine is doing right now.

Your typically good frog tank orchids--those of the Pleurothallid Alliance (Pleuros, Restrepias, Dracs, etc.) won't do well under all of your light--that's a ton of light in that little space!

A mini Dendrobium or Cattleya might do well, but Dendro is such a diverse genera that it's hard to say which will do well; check http://www.andysorchids.com and run his search function to find a good orchid for your conditions. Unfortunately, you won't get by cheaply there.

http://www.hoosierorchid.com has a nice bunch of mini Saphrocattleyas that might do well mounted there, and you might find a mini Oncidium that could do well.

For the money, though, I'd call Alex and find out what he recommends. Then, even if it dies, you won't have spent a ton of money! Plus, Epi's are commonly light lovers, and the 'Joseph Li' variety is known as a good grower. Whatever you do, make sure your orchid does not require a resting period or time of lower temps to trigger bloom. Orchids listed as "free flowering" will typically do best. I've also noted that species or hybrids of species from Java seem to have characteristics that would do well in terraria.

P.S.--I know you're looking for an epiphyte, but I can't recommend Macodes petola enough for terrestrial orchids in a dart frog enclosure. The leaves are incredible, and they handle humidity and dampness well if the substrate drains well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Homer, thank you for the reply. That is the type I need, someone to hold my hand until I get my feet wet. Also, I ordered that jewel orchid from T&C today....it is a beauty. I wanted to stick with species of the Americas but I could not pass it up.

·
Registered
986 Posts
HA! I was just posting on your other topic trying to convince you of buying the Macodes from T&C! :lol:

I definitely wouldn't call it holding your hand. I went through this whole thing about 3-4 months ago on the orchid sites. Don't worry about feeling lost . . . very few people attempt to grow orchids in terraria. Even "orchid people" are at a loss for what you can use and what conditions they'll handle. :?

The party line is that you HAVE to have air movement for orchids to do well. However, i have two Dendrobiums from Franks and Lowe's that are strongly arguing differently in my 50 gallon terrarium. One is blooming for the second time since I put it in one year ago. The other was just "rescued" from it's sorry looking state one month ago. It's also in spike now, and starting to flesh out.

I'm just kind of feeling my way around right now with the best information I can get, but it's going well so far. I'm going to buy some of those orchids from Alex when it warms up and I have my new terraria built. Right now, I'm experimenting with orchids from the Pleurothallid alliance. So far, so good, but time will tell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Homer said:
The party line is that you HAVE to have air movement for orchids to do well.
How much air flow? I put 40mm fans in my tanks and run them at low speeds and even block some of the flow if I have to. My goal is to reduce condensation while still keeping humidity about 80%....understandable of course. So, my tank's air is not stangnant, but by no means breezy...will it be enough?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the environment that you described will probably be fine for the orchids to thrive very well, but i doubt you will get the bigger ones to flower. The small flowering ones will love it, while the larger flowering orchids need a little less humidity to get a good solid hard stem up. in my orchid tank, i lower the humidity to 40% for about 2 hours before the lights go out and it creeps back to about 70% before morning when the lights come back. by the end of the day that humidity reads between 90-100% and the cycle starts again. the drop is caused by low flow fans that create a current directly across the plants. I have been growing orchids for a while and have kind of consigned myself to the fact that i dont think i will be able to have the larger varieties in my small tank with my frogs. Now if i had a larger tank where i could vary the environment in zones, it might work, but i think it is really not possible in my little 20g.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
drunknmunky said:
the environment that you described will probably be fine for the orchids to thrive very well, but i doubt you will get the bigger ones to flower. The small flowering ones will love it, while the larger flowering orchids need a little less humidity to get a good solid hard stem up. in my orchid tank, i lower the humidity to 40% for about 2 hours before the lights go out and it creeps back to about 70% before morning when the lights come back. by the end of the day that humidity reads between 90-100% and the cycle starts again. the drop is caused by low flow fans that create a current directly across the plants. I have been growing orchids for a while and have kind of consigned myself to the fact that i dont think i will be able to have the larger varieties in my small tank with my frogs. Now if i had a larger tank where i could vary the environment in zones, it might work, but i think it is really not possible in my little 20g.
Well that works out great because I can't fit a large orchid in my tank anyway. Thanks,

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't have any troubles getting large-caned Dendrobiums to grow and flower in my terraria. Actually, what I'm about to have a problem with is having the Dendrobium outgrow the height of the terraria.

I don't utilize fans of any sort (anymore) in that terrarium, either, and I have one D. 'Emma White' and another D. hybrid in spike even as we speak. The canes are very large and robust, and so far, experience has shown that a new spike forms every 6 months with flowers lasting for 3 months. That's only 3 months down time without flowering . . . cool! 8)

My terrarium stays at about 80-100% humidity. I think it just depends on the variety and what conditions any particular species or hybrid will tolerate. You just have to research these aspects well and take a leap of faith. In my situation, I just bought the plants on a whim, because I figured that $1 was worth the risk.

I have also seen people plant pahps and phrags in dart frog terraria with good success . . . but I think those are typically planted in the substrate. I don't know if those are suited to epiphytic growth, as I don't have any experience with those.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have also seen people plant pahps and phrags in dart frog terraria with good success . . . but I think those are typically planted in the substrate. I don't know if those are suited to epiphytic growth, as I don't have any experience with those.
Paphs and phrags are mostly terrestrial. Phrags especially. The paph doo well with some bark thrown in. I have a few paphs in with tree frogs and they are doing well- substrate consists of bark, peat, osmunda, and top soil. They flower once a year for me- not bad considering they aren't fertilized at all.

Justin[/quote]

·
Registered
986 Posts
Brian,

Have you ever ordered from Andy's? I've heard good things about them, but I've never ordered from there. With the Hoosier Orchid Company on my way home from work, it's just too tempting to forego the shipping costs and find something similar there. :eek: :lol:

I've got to say that my Haerella retrocalla (also sometimes H. odorata) is doing VERY well in the tank. I just brought another load home last week, so I'm watching them to see how they fare. I'll get back to you in a month or so. So far, I'm noticing marked growth on almost all of my orchids. I'm pretty thrilled.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Orchids

Yes I've ordered from Andy's once a, Harella Odorata. It arrived quickly, in excellent condition and is doing very well in the shadier corner of my 37 gallon tank. He was very cool to work with, and put forth a little extra effort, as the orchid was a last minute B-day gift to my girlfreind!
What I really like about his site is his search program. You can search by nation of origin, minutures, care paramaters and any combination of these. I agree though, if I could just pick them up locally, I'm all for supporting local business.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Orchids

Dancing frogs said:
Yes I've ordered from Andy's once a, Harella Odorata. It arrived quickly, in excellent condition and is doing very well in the shadier corner of my 37 gallon tank. He was very cool to work with, and put forth a little extra effort, as the orchid was a last minute B-day gift to my girlfreind!
Man that was brave. My woman would kill me if I bought HER a plant a tank for her birthday. Congrates on the find ;)
Has anyone worked with this guy:

The picture is from Andy's Orchids and its a Cischweinfia sheehanae (pusilla) from Colombia. I was thinking about trying it in a new tank I am building.

Thanks,

·
Registered
986 Posts
I haven't worked with that, but I have been eyeing it at Andy's for about a month now. All the characteristics are ideal for terrarium planting, and if I remember correctly, it's free flowering!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts