Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been quite a while since I was on the forum ( haven't been keeping frogs since a major move a couple years back and now moving yet again. hopefully will have time to setup a desktop viv soon ) and I love this new automatic thread suggestion feature.

Anyways heres the question. I picked up a phal. at the sale rack from one of the local box stores. I never got around to cutting off the old flower stalk and other than nurse it back to health with water and occasional orchid fertilizer, haven't done anything special. Then something happened which I haven't seen before - a new flower stalk grew off of near the end ( but not directly at the cut end ). The part that I was surprised by was that at the junction of the two stalks, a full set of roots sprouted, and are pretty much full size now ( its been about 2 months since flowers opened and they're still going strong ). I was tempted to cut off the stalk just below the roots and plant the stalk in its own pot but am waiting till the flowers die off to avoid stressing it. Is this a normal occurrence? Anything I should know other than just snip and repot?

Thanks and sorry for the long windedness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For phalaenopsis, this is a normal occurance. A snip above the node will make the plant reflower.

After repotting, I would just water the plant with no fertilizer for a couple of weeks. After a month, I would go back to your fertilizer schedule.

Repotting can be usually done during the Spring months.

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts