Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up these orchids at Fantasy Orchids in Colorado before hooking up with several people here on the board for some trades. One of the guys there suggested these for viv conditions. I'm hoping someone with viv orchid experience could chime in and let me know if you think these are likely viv candidates.
Hwra. Lava Burst "Puanani"
Pleurothallis grobyi (I think I've read that these are good viv choices"
Sophronitis cernua
Restepia striata (pretty sure Frogparty likes these for vivs)
Bulb. careyanum
Neostylis Lou Sneary "Bluebird"
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
The howearra lava burst needs to dry between waterings. The Restrepia and Bulbophyllum should do well, as will the P. grobyii. The others I've never tried, bit might do ok.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My grobyi is doing great. Even in a well lit area its still putting out new leaves and flowers consistently. Ill be moving it more in the shade if it shows major signs to light stress though.
I know that most Sophronitis grow directly on tree bark and like drier conditions. I can only assume your cork bark tree would be the perfect mounting spot for it :)

I like going to orchidspecies.com to find out specifics on each plant I buy. They tend to give small universal pictures that represent the conditions they require, plus some descriptions of where they are found and at what elevations.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies guys. So the howearra lava burst is out. The Sophrontis should be mounted directly to the cork bark with NO sphagnum. Should the others have some sphagnum mounted with them when mounted to cork?
I have about 10 small, assorted bulbophyllums from Manuran. Should the Bulbos also have some sphagnum included?
I also have a Schoenorchis fragrans I picked up off of ebay. As I understand it, the Schoenorchis and the Sophrontis will like quite a bit of light and can be mounted pretty high up. Those were both mounted in sphagnum so I'm assuming I should mount those with some sphagnum.
The bulbophyllums and most of the others should be lower light, right? Can you help me define lower light?
You've seen the viv. 75 gallon 2' x 2' x 3' high. Lighting will be 2 65 watt, 65K Compact Fluorescents. How high up can I do the 2 high light orchids and how far beneath the lights should the lower light types be?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
I agree with what frogparty and Grimm suggested as to which ones to put in the viv. Neofinetia comes from Japan and needs a cool, drier winter to bloom, so I'm not sure the Neostylis would be ideal for viv conditions.

As for lighting, the Sophronitis is going to want a little more than the Schoenorchis, but they both can take a good amount of light. I'd say give the Sophronitis enough light to color up a brom and the other a little lower and watch the leaves. You know you've got just the right amount of light if the edges show a bit of reddish purple, kind of like a tan for the plant.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
The red is caused by Anthocyanosis. The bulbos won't show this, but the Restrepia and Pleurothallis certainly will if given high light levels.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
I keep my bluebird planted in lava rock, in my living room.

PS I ordered once from fantasy. What I got in the mail wasn't what I was expecting...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have the Sophronitis cernua in one of my vivs. I mounted mine on a piece of cork with sphagnum about 3/4 of the viv up. Brighter light and dryer conditions seem to be working great for it. it is growing under a dual HO T-5 6500k and loving it.

P. grobyii just finished blooming in my 115 gallon

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
67 Posts
glad you got to visit Fantasy orchids! I love that place. I have Sophronitis cernua and Restepia striata and both are doing well and growing like weeds. The restrepia puts out so many keikis! Make sure you get them cleaned well, as I have come home with mealybugs with a couple orchids from there. I actually found a couple mealies in my leuc terrarium a few days ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't take hold. Can't wait to see pics of your orchids mounted. You are going to be addicted to orchids too, before you know it. :)

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
burn all plants infected with mealy. hoping doesnt do a damn thing. You will lose plants soon. soon. mealy is the devil. BLEACH, ETHANOL, SOAP AND WATER REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT!!!!! I can't stress enough how bad mealy is. Ill never buy from that source if I know they have a mealy issue

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My grobyi is doing great. Even in a well lit area its still putting out new leaves and flowers consistently. Ill be moving it more in the shade if it shows major signs to light stress though.
I know that most Sophronitis grow directly on tree bark and like drier conditions. I can only assume your cork bark tree would be the perfect mounting spot for it :)

I like going to orchidspecies.com to find out specifics on each plant I buy. They tend to give small universal pictures that represent the conditions they require, plus some descriptions of where they are found and at what elevations.
I picked up my grobyi at the Denver herp show a couple months ago. It sent up about 6 "spikes"? about 2 weeks ago just sitting on a shelf in the living room and has been blooming like crazy. They are a translucent pale yellow like lemonade.
I know I totally jumped the gun on my trip to Fantasy Orchids and that I should be researching my choices better. I had heard of them for years but didn't even know where they were. I drove out to Louisville for a window job and found myself working 2 blocks away from them. Couldn't resist stopping in.

I keep my bluebird planted in lava rock, in my living room.

PS I ordered once from fantasy. What I got in the mail wasn't what I was expecting...
Sounds like the consensus is a no on the bluebird? Pity. I'm really good at killing living room plants. I can keep them alive for 2 or 4 months until I get busy and forget to water.

glad you got to visit Fantasy orchids! I love that place. I have Sophronitis cernua and Restepia striata and both are doing well and growing like weeds. The restrepia puts out so many keikis! Make sure you get them cleaned well, as I have come home with mealybugs with a couple orchids from there. I actually found a couple mealies in my leuc terrarium a few days ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't take hold. Can't wait to see pics of your orchids mounted. You are going to be addicted to orchids too, before you know it. :)
I cleaned everything with a complete substrate removal (A couple had a strand or two of sphagnum that wouldn't come off without root damage), and followed that up with a 10 percent bleach dip for 10 minutes. I'm a bit "plant impaired", I guess I should look up what a mealybug is.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
burn all plants infected with mealy. hoping doesnt do a damn thing. You will lose plants soon. soon. mealy is the devil. BLEACH, ETHANOL, SOAP AND WATER REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT!!!!! I can't stress enough how bad mealy is. Ill never buy from that source if I know they have a mealy issue
Is this a mix of bleach, ethanol, soap and water? What are we talking here? 10% bleach, a tablespoon of soap, and how much alcohol? Do I need to use something like Vodka or Everclear or is rubbing alcohol fine?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree mealies are bad, and I have been battling them in my orchid collection for a while. The thing I find with them is that even after what seems like forever, they end up showing up again. My tank that had a couple in it has been set up for 2 years, with rarely any new additions, all cleaned well beforehand. It is nowhere near my orchid collection, and suddenly they are in there. For me, burning and destroying isn't an option or I couldn't have any plants =( Frogpary, you probalby are right though, life would be simpler if I followed your adivce =)

Anyhow...back to Dougs tank. As long as you cleaned off all the substrate and bleached, I think you'll be fine. They are gonna look great in your tank!

Also, I wasn't bashing Fantasy at all, I think they have really knowledgable employees and nice plants. I've talked to them about the mealy problem, and they really do stay on top of it. I've gotten mealies from multiple places, mostly from plants from the grocery store or home depot. Maybe they just thrive in Colorado. I don't think you should avoid buying from them for that reason...just check your plants and disinfect. Just like you do from anywhere.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
mealy gets under dead sheaths, into the roots between bulbs...everywhere. 90 %isopropanol wipedown, soap and water, 10%bleach are all seperate steps, but if I see mealy, I just throw the plant away in a sealed up plastic bag, even if its my favorite plant. The super bug death sprays available have killed a couple plants I ve treated. To me its just not worth it, and my collection is small enough that I can afford to toss one infected plant. This is why I treat EVERY PLANT GOING INTO MY ORCHID TANK OR FROG TANK!!! NO EXCEPTIONS PEOPLE!!!!! You dont want nasties getting in because you were careless. its just like frog quarantine, for the exact same reasons. A lot of these orchids are almost as expensive as your frogs and can live 100 years, they are an investment to a lot of people and are definitely a tradable comodity in this hobby. Take precautions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts