Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this assortment of orchids from someone on the board today. They are all supposed to be good viv choices. Problem is, I know very little about orchids. If anyone can help with ID and more importantly, where should they be mounted? I was told some do better higher or lower.
I have internal circulation fans ready to drop into all my vivs. I am running dual HO T5s with very good reflectors over all my vivs. Temps range from 72 at the bottom to about 80 at the very top.
For the most part, I tried to group what I think are similar types, together.
Thanks for any help you may have.

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
1-6 look like Restrepias, the rest look like Bulbophyllums, Encyclias, and Epidendrums. The grassy one looks kind of like a Scaphyglottis, but I don't know for sure. I usually mount mine up close to the lights, and more importantly, out of where they will get sprayed too often, since they like to dry out in between waterings.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
1-13 are all in the pleurothallid alliance of some sort or other. Many look like restrepias, but a lot of pleuros have vegetative growth that looks nearly identical
#23 is a Mediocalcar, probably decoratum
#16-21 are bulbophyllums. #17 is probably frostii.
#25 is probably Epidendrum porpax
All good viv choices

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
without flowers its VERY ERY VERY difficult to tell. I just happen to have a lot of orchids inthe pleurothallid alliance, and a fair amount in the bulbophyllum alliance as well. I have 16 species of Restrepia, my favorite orchid genus for sure, with Bulbophyllum a close second
I would guess #12 and 13 are both Pleurothallis restrepioides

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies! I actually just heard back from my seller, Fleshfrombone. Here is the list I got from him.
1- restrepia pelyx I believe
2-restrepia sanguinea
3,5,6- not sure but they are pluerothallids
7,8,10-restrepia brachypus I think
9-don't know
11,12,13-pluerothallis restrepiodes (look this one up, it is incredible which is why I sent multiples)
14-unknown scaphyglottis (produces really neat tiny white flowers with a black stolon)
15-unknown dendrobium (from mexico I think)
16-bulbophyllum roxburghii
17-bulbophyllum frostii
18- unknown bulbophyllum (vaginatum I think)
19-unknown bulbophyllum
20-dinema polybulbon (look up, one of my favorites!)
21-unknown bulbophyllum
22-mediocalcar decoratum? not sure
23, 26-unknown epidendrum (flower look like candy corns, very neat)
24, 25- epidendrum porpax (2 varieties, nominant and alba)

I am carefully not leaving feedback, but rather commenting on how nice it is to be able to find a selection like this...no matter who it is from. For me, an assortment like this was a great way to jump into orchids. I liked having a wide assortment of smaller plants made available. I know that they are well suited for life in a viv. Therefore, if they don't do well, I know it's not the orchid, but rather my skills and viv conditions that need to be looked at.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
HA! I was right on all my species guesses! Doesnt hurt that flesh and I have a lot of the same species. Be stoked, that Restrepia sanguinea clone is off the chain with HUGE flowers for the species, and R. pelyx is very hard to find.
The clone of Pleurothallis restrepioides is "dragonstone". Awesome orchid, but gets large. Mine is about 13" tall

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but there is no way any of those are Pleuro restrepioides. My restrepioides is about 2ft + in length, the leaves are about 8 inches long and the stems are HUGE! Way to big for most vivs.

As far as the Dendrobium #15, it is an epidendrum, most likely radicans. Gets very tall eventually. I do not believe there to be any neotropical dendrobiums. Epi's can be neater anyway, but radicans is pretty common.

I don't think 20 is Dinema (Encyclia actually) polyboulbon. It looks mroe like a bulbo to me. It is similar to polyboulbon as far as looks, except for the growth habitat and the distinctive ness of the rhizome. I will try to take a pic of my E. polyboulbon for ya. It is an awesome plant though.

I would also argue that 22-26 are epidendroids, but most of these you won't even come close to getting a descent ID without a flower.

also, Mike, orchids have no rule of thumb :)

AS FAR as growing/culturing these orchids, their requirements can be VERY Diverse and complex. There are cold growing, full shade pleurothallids and their are HOT growing full sun light pleuros and everything in between. Most of the Restrepia's like cooler temps and almost full shade. R. brachypus does better in low light, low 70's conditions. I would recommend air circulation just because you have such a diversity. Most of the Bulbophyllums will grow better in the higher light higher temp conditions. The epidendrums can be very diverse too, some liking lower light and others liking high light (radicans). Your temp range should be ok for them. All of these will do better mounted. I like to wrap the root base in a little bit of sphagnum, and then use paper clips or something to attach them cork or fishing line to branches. Bulbo's can be placed directly onto a mossy branch or slightly moist cork surface and usually do fine.

PM me if you want help identifying requirements individually for the known plants. I just hit my 100 species mark on miniature orchids and am pretty good at finding their requirements.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
No, he got his restrepioides from me. Im sure of its ID. Its the dragonstone clone
He got his Dinema polybulbon from the same soure as me as well, definitely the real species, ID'd by flower

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I have lots of cork bark and ghost wood in all of my vivs so I should have plenty of mounting spots. Mantellaprince20, I may take you up on PMing you for more specific placement instructions. I have a batch of about 10 internal fans made up and just ready to drop in. Then all but one or two temp vivs will have internal air circulation. Plus, they all have passive vents.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
That Mediocalcar decoratum really appreciates the airflow. The Restrepias don't care nearly as much.Welcome to the orchid addiction. Its so much more expensive than the frog hobby :p
Some of the Bulbos you got will get a bit large for small vivs, (the vaginatum especially) save it for a big show viv.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but there is no way any of those are Pleuro restrepioides.
Not to burst YOUR bubble but yeah, it is. Frogparty and I got it around the same time, we both saw it in full bloom, tagged and bagged. I happen to know him personally and the guy knows his orchids.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frogparty and Flesh, permission to PM you about placement information?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Yeah doug of course, ask away.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i'm just saying I would argue that Pleuro restrepioides "dragon stone" is actually the same species. Also this is a very VERY difficult plant to get to bloom, so if you have done so, I would love your tips ;)

ed parker

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Not to hijack but.....

Looks like a great package Doug....Is there a progression in this hobby to frogs, plants, then Orchids? I find my self picking them up when I can...I can see them being as addictive as the frogs.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Cooler temps make it bloom. Some plunge it into downright cold temps.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I get my P. restrepioides to bloom by providing a 20+degree temp swing between summer and winter, and a SLIGHT dry period during the winter cooldown
As a pleurothallid generalization, the thicker the leaves, the higher the temps it can take. Mine gets to the mid 80s in the summer, down to the low 60s high 50s in the winter. I think I have pics posted on orchidsinteractive.com or orchidboard.com Its the easiest pleuro species to grow vegetatively, but I agree, dificult to coax into flower. lost all the spikes the first year I grew it. I also fertilize with a liquid organic fertilizer, in addition to the small amount of nutricote included in the growing medium. Mine is NOT in a viv

1 - 20 of 24 Posts