Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow Steven, the color intensified now that they are older (or you got a different camera. ;)). Very nice frogs!

·
Super Moderator
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You guys are killing me with these awesome pictures! :)

Adam, yours looks more like Orange (Ray's) than Orangehead (Steven's) based on the amount of color dorsally.

·
Super Moderator
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Looking at the bright side, this fact doubles my chance of getting a group of A. pepperi Orange(head). :D

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I disagree that these two are indistinguishable visually.
It seems that my thoughts & observations are in line with Mr. Pepper.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
At the request of JP, I have been asked to share my experience as I have worked with both of these.

Orange

Orangehead

Obviously, the head color is different.
Orange have a goldish, yellow-orange coloration. OH are a bright reddish-orange.

Looking at the back ...
The pattern on the Orange tends to extend down the majority of the back.
OH, the pattern does not in MOST cases.
Additionally, the pattern on the OH is much finer compared to the Orange.

Lastly, (which is not represented well here), OH body color tends to be much darker than the standard Orange; almost black sometimes.
Orange body tends to be a tad lighter blue.

Mark has explained his opinion on differences as well.

There are also some small behavioral & reproductive differences too, but that's for another discussion.

Another sad revelation that has been discovered recently, is that it seems documention of these in the past has been lax ... which has unfortunately led to many people mixing these two together; and as we all know, should not happen which has further limited the gene pool ... and calls into question any offspring acquired in the hobby recently.

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
I agree... The more I see the two morphs, the more obvious their difference is. The 'orange' morph is definitely more of a yellow-orange and the color is steady throughout.

The orangeheads on the other hand are true to their name. Just the head is a solid orange. It then tapers to a similar yellow/orange down the back, but the head is clearly orange.

All of these are 'orangehead' / 'rood'

·
Super Moderator
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Great, the fun continues... Now we need more pictures of representatives of the Orange morph.

Here are two from Tarbo96.

20141027_200947-1.jpg

20141027_200957-1.jpg

21 - 40 of 43 Posts