Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age do most P. terribilis start breeding? I've heard from 16-24 months, but my 12 month old orange terribilis have started laying today. In fact two differnet females laid clutches today. I really did not expect this so early. Anybody else have terribilis start breeding so young?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, that is the youngest I have heard of any terribilis laying.
Mark W. does have his bicolor calling and I think they are 12months too. Chime in here my friend...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr.Frye,
Yeah, my bicolor male started calling at about 11 months old.They are in the living room so they get kind of spoiled. I like watching them gobble up anything I can give them and think feeding them lesser waxworms has helped them grow up faster.Not much response from the females yet. One of them goes to him when he calls but he just sits there. Maybe he is all talk and no action, :lol: Other people have told me the males mature faster then the females do in phyllobates.Have you been feeding the orange terribilis good also? I really like the orange terribilis.In fact, when I traded Patrick some of my imitators I wanted orange terribs but he said he didn't have any and suggested some orange bicolors he was going to offer and I have been very happy with them.Good luck with them.
Mark W.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are true orange terribilis. Yes, I feed them well. The males started calling about 3-4 months ago. The females started laying now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phyllobates

We here at JungleWorld have had our terribilis and bicolors, regardless of color or locale.. begin calling as early as 7mos. but most calls seemed quite short and not nearly as long or loud as our adult Phyllobates. This could be juvenile sparring with other frogs, but we also have witnessed courtship at around 1yr to 16 mos of age, so 11 mos as you state is early but not at all impossible. We once had a female bicolor lay 14 infertile eggs at 9mos of age then three weeks later layed another infertile clutch of 11, she has yet to lay another clutch and she will be 2yrs old in May. So anything is possible.. do keep us posted this is verrrry interesting. Peter Keane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts