Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So excited to be the proud new owner of some absolutely stunningly beautiful lamasi!!! I will try for pics as soon as they are settled in... Just wanted to share my enthusiasm and excitement with everyone!

JBear

·
Registered
815 Posts
Lamasi? What are those? Those look like a striped form of sirensis. You might want to contact the seller because he sold you a non existent frog. ;)

They look amazing. Always wanted a pair or lamasi/sirensis. Never got them since I've read they are very shy.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lamasi? What are those? Those look like a striped form of sirensis. You might want to contact the seller because he sold you a non existent frog. ;)

They look amazing. Always wanted a pair or lamasi/sirensis. Never got them since I've read they are very shy.
What you read is not always the way it is. I heard the same as well, however it took less than 5 mins for these guys to start exploring and making themselves visible. When frogs feel secure and feel they have an option to hide they tend to be much more visible. Maybe I just got lucky with this group's personalities...

JBear

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Nice frogs.....Mine were very reclusive till the viv grew in a bit and breeding started up. They are a bit less to hid now, but still not as out and open as my imitators or variabilis....

How many did you get? Any of them more orange? All of mine are a bright yellow then orange much like yours....The guy I got mine from had some that were a deep orange almost red which were the parents of mine....

Congrats on the new frogs....

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice frogs.....Mine were very reclusive till the viv grew in a bit and breeding started up. They are a bit less to hid now, but still not as out and open as my imitators or variabilis....

How many did you get? Any of them more orange? All of mine are a bright yellow then orange much like yours....The guy I got mine from had some that were a deep orange almost red which were the parents of mine....

Congrats on the new frogs....
I was lucky enough to get a breeding trio. The group was described as 1.1.1, and has been quite proven according to the original owner. The orange is a bit washed out in the pics, in person, the orange is much more true.

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... Any of them more orange? All of mine are a bright yellow then orange much like yours....The guy I got mine from had some that were a deep orange almost red which were the parents of mine....
...The orange is a bit washed out in the pics, in person, the orange is much more true.

JBear
Here is a better example of the trio's color!

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Gorgeous! I love lamasi, erm, I mean sirensis. :p

My advice is to make sure they have a lot of cover, then you will see them all the time. I recommend a nice canopy of creeping fig :D

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yea that's nice.....Much more orange then mine...Good luck with them.

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea that's nice.....Much more orange then mine...Good luck with them.
Are you using supps like Superpig? The person from whom I received the frogs is a big supporter of the brand and it's benefits. I personally have not used it yet, just wondering if it is genetic diversity, or the supps that contribute most to the varying degree of orange seen through the Panguana region. Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Awesome snag bud...now get em breeding (then send some my way):)

Sorry about the semi-lame post, but I was at six hundred and sixty six posts and was frantically trying to change that...aaaah 667 much better

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome snag bud...now get em breeding (then send some my way) :) ...
Funny you should mention that... I was JUST telling the person I got the trio from last night the first person I will be offering to would be....YOU! LMAO!

I will keep you posted, ;) !

JBear

Reactions: fieldnstream

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Moving along into some questions... [Directed at hobbiests working with this species in particular, or have a previous history] When do your groups/individuals call the most regularly? Where do you find most clutches? What niche of the viv is most often utilized? What size FF is most readily ENJOYED? Are tropical isos(Woodlice) even worth seeding?( I have Springtails abound...) All my thanks! This is my first Thumbnail species, and I want to provide the absolute best I can.

JBear

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Ive seen thumbs eat Isopods, mostly the younger smaller ones so dwarf whites or CR purples would make a great seeding iso. Id keep the springs population up as they definitely rely on them.
Depends on what you use for laying and deposit sites. film cans, broms, they lay in the leaf litter but my experience is lamasi lay in the upper parts of the viv in broms and filmcans when they are provided there.
Most of mine called in the afternoon until after lights out. They seem to stay in the planst and on the background for me and only are in the leaves feeding in the early part of the day.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the most suggested method of boosting the Springtail culture? Normally, I drop sliced mushroom slices into the leaves, is there a better way to encourage "booms"? All my thanks(as always)!

JBear

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Grats! Welcome to the club! Definitely worth putting Isos in there. We have Dwarf Whites, Dwarf Striped, and Giant oranges. They eat the babies and leave the adults alone to repopulate. Ours lay eggs in upside down film cans, upside down 45 degree film cans, and also hidden deep in the leaf litter on big, fat Magnolia leaves. They love climbing and we often see them scurrying up the wood and diving for the back of the viv when we come into the room. Frogboy could answer this one better, but it seems like they are ALWAYS calling. Can't shut em up!
I keep expecting to see a tiny little Elmer Fudd come traipsing through the viv with a toothpick sized shotgun because ours breed like bunnies!! "Shhhh! Be vewy vewy qwiet! I'm hunting Siwensis!"

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Grats! Welcome to the club! Definitely worth putting Isos in there. We have Dwarf Whites, Dwarf Striped, and Giant oranges. They eat the babies and leave the adults alone to repopulate. Ours lay eggs in upside down film cans, upside down 45 degree film cans, and also hidden deep in the leaf litter on big, fat Magnolia leaves. They love climbing and we often see them scurrying up the wood and diving for the back of the viv when we come into the room. Frogboy could answer this one better, but it seems like they are ALWAYS calling. Can't shut em up!
I keep expecting to see a tiny little Elmer Fudd come traipsing through the viv with a toothpick sized shotgun because ours breed like bunnies!! "Shhhh! Be vewy vewy qwiet! I'm hunting Siwensis!"
All my thanks for the help guys!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Woke up this morning to a wonderful scene! 2 were courting along the back wall. The male was calling and leading. He led her all the way across the backwall, and down into the leaves where I have some pill jars. It was truly a remarkable sight! I truly didn't expect them to settle in THAT fast! What a rush!

JBear

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Woke up this morning to a wonderful scene! 2 were courting along the back wall. The male was calling and leading. He led her all the way across the backwall, and down into the leaves where I have some pill jars. It was truly a remarkable sight! I truly didn't expect them to settle in THAT fast! What a rush!

JBear
You dusting flies with repashys new horny goat weed or somethin?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts