Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
689 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm discussing this with the mods and our team to see which ones we can implement ASAP, which ones we cannot do and which ones we do not want to change.

I'll answer in this thread with our responses when I get them.

·
Administrator
689 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You know, I have another suggestion:

I know that this is a "dart frog" forum, but it often draws in people who are interested in things that are related, such as vivarium and paludarium building, orchids and plants, and keeping of animals similar to dart frogs like fish and tree frogs...

... I think it would be a good idea to add a ""Vampire Crab" subforum to the site. Their care seems to be identical to common dart frogs, and there's already an interest on the forum for these guys. In fact, there seems to be scant information about these guys on the internet, and I feel like DB has the most information out of anywhere on the net about these guys. So why not give them their own little space? :D

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
You know, I have another suggestion:

I know that this is a "dart frog" forum, but it often draws in people who are interested in things that are related, such as vivarium and paludarium building, orchids and plants, and keeping of animals similar to dart frogs like fish and tree frogs...

... I think it would be a good idea to add a ""Vampire Crab" subforum to the site. Their care seems to be identical to common dart frogs, and there's already an interest on the forum for these guys. In fact, there seems to be scant information about these guys on the internet, and I feel like DB has the most information out of anywhere on the net about these guys. So why not give them their own little space? :D
I wouldn't mind seeing the subforums like mantella brought more to the forefront...Seems like those areas kinda died when they got reduced to sub, sub forums under "other amphibians"

I also wouldn't mind seeing a gecko/anolis, or just an "other vivarium inhabitants" section. A vampire crab and/or fish section would be fine with me too.

This started as a dart frog forum, and that is still the main focus but it is also one of the best, if not the best forums for general vivarium, terrarium, paludarium creation info and keeping other species. I think we need to let it evolve more in that direction and not hold it back perhaps as much as it has been in the past...but still keep the core Dart frog stuff as the main focus.

I would like to see a less restrictive feedback system, similar to Faunaclassifieds BOI. I would also like to see admins/mods throw their weight around a bit like they have in the past when bad deals go down on DB....We need to protect our members and make sure that bad business practices are not tolerated here.

I do not want to see any form of paid memberships for most members or even the average guy selling some frogs and plants. I think that will alienate most of us senior members and render this a forum for transient noobs that come and go and basically just water the place down. The senior/experienced members...especially ones that still bother to address nooby questions, or answer the same questions over and over and/or bring new techniques/products to the attention of the community are the life blood of a forum like this IMO. :)

I would also like to see Lounge and even Thunderdome posts show up in searches, or new threads since last visit sections. It is annoying that I have to check those sections manually...

I always forget about them, and sometimes people have to PM to let me know there is a post about me, or relevant to me. No part of the forum should be easy to forget, or kinda hidden away IMO...Kinda defeats the purpose of a forum. If I have to put the password in when I do access thunderdome threads listed on the CP that is fine...I'd just like them and lounge and any others to show up at least.

I would like to see a few more stickies of useful threads and info....We don't want the first 10 posts in every section to be stickies, but I think we have room for a few more useful ones, or some updates to current ones.

Oh and if there are any paid positions, I could use the extra income :D

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I would also like to see Lounge and even Thunderdome posts show up in searches, or new threads since last visit sections. It is annoying that I have to check those sections manually...

I always forget about them, and sometimes people have to PM to let me know there is a post about me, or relevant to me. No part of the forum should be easy to forget, or kinda hidden away IMO...Kinda defeats the purpose of a forum. If I have to put the password in when I do access thunderdome threads listed on the CP that is fine...I'd just like them and lounge and any others to show up at least.
I second this. I really don't like how especially the lounge doesn't appear in the "New Posts" link/search. Maybe in your CP you could have like check boxes for which subforums you want to see in the new posts search?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Also for the frog marketplace, having sections assigned to genus and species would be helpful. Although you would have to post individual ads for your different frogs... But I for one think it's sometimes difficult to find certain species that I'm interested in just by searching.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Also for the frog marketplace, having sections assigned to genus and species would be helpful. Although you would have to post individual ads for your different frogs... But I for one think it's sometimes difficult to find certain species that I'm interested in just by searching.
I'm not a fan of that idea...nothing personal, just a preference. We have pretty active frog classifieds compared to most places but I don't think they are so active and large enough to warrant that kind of separation...Seems like it would be more of a hassle for buyers and sellers especially since so many ads contain a mix of species/morphs.

If I was selling and had to break my ads up that much and place them in different sections it would drive me nuts. As a buyer It would also be kinda annoying IMO, to have to click on half a dozen different sections just to look at 1 or a few new ads in each section.

I am however annoyed periodically when I stumble across frogs listed for sale in an ad but they weren't listed in the title. Makes me wonder how many frogs I may have been interested in and missed because the title just said tincs and/or some other frog I wasn't terribly interested in.

I now try to click/skim every ad, but a guideline (if one doesn't already exist) that says do you best to list everything in the title would be nice (and enforce it if it already exists).
:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
dislike button...anybody? I know there's a few of you out there that will use that like crazy. Could make things complicated...could also make things very funny.

...EDIT>>

second thought never mind, that may actually encourage more people to start using more of their "colorful" language.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
dislike button...anybody? I know there's a few of you out there that will use that like crazy. Could make things complicated...could also make things very funny.

...EDIT>>

second thought never mind, that may actually encourage more people to start using more of their "colorful" language.
(Watch closely...I'm about to be clever :cool:)

I Vermilion hate that Verdigris Green Idea! :)))...though at times I do wish there were such a Bisque button because I would hit the Smalt out of it. Some times these Damask people drive me Jasper insane :D

(Did you see it?...No?..Meh, me either :(...dang it! :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
^^^^ This. Particularly the Lounge, which has many threads that are directly applicable to the hobby (yes, I gave in and call it a hobby... sigh). It's really a royal pain trying to scroll through hundreds of threads looking for something.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
This was removed from the search on purpose. Its a frogs site and folks who are here for the purpose of the site did not like scrolling through the endless off-topic threads.
I agree. However, many of the Lounge posts are OT for the particular forums set up but not OT for the interest of the forum members. I will use my own posts regarding a well known frog breeder, his health crisis and the rescue of his many breeding pairs of darts, as an example. This very important issue was relegated to the Lounge because it was deemed OT for the other parts of the forum. It was, however, of great interest to the forum at large. I can't help but think that there would have been a broader response if more members of the board were aware of the situation and updates.

Ok I'm done. Thanks :D

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
If I remember correctly, weren't The Lounge and TD threads left out of searches because someone kept starting religious threads in them?
Why does one small component of an an entire area affect being able to search in it? It makes it more important to be able to find stuff, so we dont have to wade through posts about "The lord is thy shepherd, on the seventh day the flock gets dewormed".

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
This was removed from the search on purpose. Its a frogs site and folks who are here for the purpose of the site did not like scrolling through the endless off-topic threads.
So why not add a feature to the forum where you have to check a box which enables it to appear on the search. They would not appear on the search by default, but the people who want to see it in their search can.

Everybody wins.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Also, I don't remember if it was suggested in the thread already, but I'd like a feature where you get notified if a post of yours gets quoted, like you get a notification if a post gets liked.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts