Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use standard shop lights over their racks? Do you get decent growth? Do the frogs exhibit normal breeding behavior? I've already started on some 10 highs for breeding tanks, and I need to figure out if I can get enough light output over 3 tanks with a 2 bulb shop fixture. My goal is to keep it as simple as possible, and keep the price under $45 for each shelf in the rack. If that's not possible, I was going to order some 2x96 watt CF bright kits from AH, but i'd like to avoid that if I can.

G

·
I use shop lights on my rack and get good growth from the broms.
I have 1 plant bulb (2300k I think) and 1 6500k bulb, both are 40watts
The plant bulb sounded good but the have an almost pink light (I hate it)
I wasn't paying attention when I bought them. I use them to cut back on heat. I like the CF's but it was getting my tanks hot during the summer.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use shoplights for my tanks and I will no consider the use of another lighting system as long as I have room to use them. My fireballs saty red, and the light fixtures and bulbs are cheap.

G

·
that should work just fine. I've got java moss growing fine under shoplights, even have pillow/sheet moss coming back to life. I've also have a brom with two pups coming out of it and another brom thats starting to flower. I used to have a hard time getting anything but pothos to live until I started using shop lights (4 ft' 32 watts each).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What watt/gl are you guys using?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
The T-8 fixtures are just the regular dual shop light fixtures that cost less than $8 with no bulbs. They run either two 40 watt T-12 bulbs or two 32 watt T-8 bulbs. I just picked up the T-8 Philips daylight deluxe 6500k bulbs from Home for less than $6 for a two pack! They run cooler than the T-12s and I love the 6500k spectrum.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Nope...it's the same! When you get as small as a T-6 then you need a different end cap because the bulb diameter is so much smaller.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If you are going with T8s I suggest getting a "Super" T8 ballast. HD carries the GE Ultramax which is a Super. Super is just a designation for a higher efficency ballast. Doesn't cost any more but when combined with regular or Super T8 bulbs it's even brighter than regular T8s up to 100 lumens per watt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts