Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am looking to sell some prints of some of my picture and and looking for opinions. I am currently testing some printing methods and should have it locked down in the near future.

I am trying to see if anyone is even interested, and what size prints would make sense.

I can get:
4x6
5x7
8x10
11x14
20x30

I can also get mugs, shirts and mousepads, but not sure there is much interest for them.

I have not worked out pricing yet, but I plan to start with a couple different shots and then add more if the first ones sell.

Let me know just testing the waters on this idea,

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm sure a lot of it would be price dependent. At least it would for me. I think I might be interested in some wall art for the office . . . .

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking depending on shipping and etc:
8x10 $15-20
11x14 $20-30
20x30 $40-60 or so (they are not cheap to get printed or shipped)

Mouse Pads would be $15-20

Not sure on the rest yet, but these are the main items I think people would be interested in.

None of this is locked in stone and just early thoughts. From what I can tell I can have them sent straight to people from the printing company, but I need to check the shipping rates.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just an idea, you might want to offer them already framed and matted. Less work for the customer. They can just take it out of the box and hang it on the wall. :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
FCA said:
Just an idea, you might want to offer them already framed and matted. Less work for the customer. They can just take it out of the box and hang it on the wall. :)
That gets tricky, trust me. Everyone wants a different frame. You can offer it but make it worth your while. I was wondering when you were going to start selling your pics. Does this mean we won't see your pics posted on this site?
Mike

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may have some friends sell them at some shows and some of those may be matted and framed. The shipping gets tricky and pricy with trying to send them like that.

Right now i think I can have the printer send them straight to someone so that may be the best best with the least amount of shipping charges.

FCA said:

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks and I have a 20x30 of a butterfly on my wall that looks amazing. I was pretty proud of myself after seeing how well it came out. I need to try a couple of the frogs pictures larger, but so far I think I shoud be able to do at least 20x30 and maybe even larger.

Ryan said:
I'd by some of your shots very quickly! Especially if you had poster size :D

G

·
The 20x30 pics would they be posters? or would they be normal photostock?
If you have some *really* nice pictures(which I know you do) it might be worth your while to look into doing a bulk printing of poster sized pictures. You might be able to sell them for less but sell a lot more, though artistic integrity vs economies of scale can be a personal issue and the initial investment might be a bit more.

I've gotten some of my pics printed 8x10 being the largest and have them hanging all over my living room.

-Tad

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I probably shouldn't say anything but the history of selling photos at frog shows is not a success story. Several photographers have offered incredibly stunning photos of PDF and other herps at IAD's past and NWFF with very few buyers. Everyone I know who has tried it has ended up dissapointed. It seems that when people go to shows, they reserve all of their money for frogs and plants. Too bad because there is more to the hobby than the frogs themselves but that is the reality. So my suggestion would be to speak with some people who have actually tried this to see if you can get some advice.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have that impression, but the way I intend to do it I should not have any inital costs. As I will just get them printed as needed. I may have a few printed to have some others try to sell for me, but not enough to lose any great amount of money.

The tax deduction I will get just for the ones I have donated this year is enough for me... :)

Photography is not a easy way to make money thats for sure, but I'm not looking to quit my job or anything either.

G

·
Hey Kyle,

I say go for it! But I think you will have better luck selling them when it is the non-shipping season. I would make it almost all internet based. While I see problems with selling them framed, matted would be a very nice addition.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
kyle1745 said:
Photography is not a easy way to make money thats for sure, but I'm not looking to quit my job or anything either.
One other thought is that nice frog photos should make really good barter material.

Personally I wish photos were a better selling item among froggers. It is difficult to resist the temptation to acquire yet another stunning frog but it is also another mouth to feed and more insect cultures to make. To me, collecting frog images provides an outlet for that itch to add something new without the overhead of a live animal. It is a way to keep a frog collection manageable while still continuing to collect "new frogs" so to speak.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts