Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I went collecting for some wood and branches today for a viv I'm putting together, and all I can find is pine. My experience of using it submersed in aquariums is that it tends to rot much quicker than other types...but I'm curious how well it will hold up in a viv? I like that it gets somewhat soggy and spongy, retaining water really well, and I'm assuming that not keeping it fully submerged and just exposed to some moisture would probably prevent most problems of rotting.

Anyway, I'm curious to here some of your thoughts and experiences with it

·
Registered
370 Posts
It really depends on the type of pine and what part of the tree you had. When I used to work in Longleaf/Sandhill communities I would collect Longleaf pine heart wood. The stuff is very rot resistant. On the other hand stuff like White pine will rot almost over night. Let us know more specificly what you have. If you don't know the type of pine, let me know where you are, where they were growing and how many needles were in each bundel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's all stuff I gathered along the riverbank yesterday, so it was spent some time being weathered over the last few months. The majority of evergreens around here (in north-central Washington) are ponderosa pine and Douglas fir...but there is also a ton of black cottonwood. Most of the pieces are from branches and/or roots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts