Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very excited to see these coming in as they are the first legally farmed/exported O. sylvatica in many years. Let's hope we see even more site specific and legal frogs in the near future.

Wikiri Selva Viva - Ceratophrys stolzmanni

Shoot me a PM if you are also receiving some on the next shipment as I would like to see these tracked properly.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Some beauty sanlos coming in! Will be able to get some good bloodline variety

·
Banned
579 Posts
So we dont need to worry about the strictly male ordeal?!?!? Forget male heavy that has legally or illegally come in ??? Itll be a good feeling knowing you shots are very even to match a pair.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Very excited to see these coming in as they are the first legally farmed/exported O. sylvatica in many years. Let's hope we see even more site specific and legal frogs in the near future.

Wikiri Selva Viva - Ceratophrys stolzmanni

Shoot me a PM if you are also receiving some on the next shipment as I would like to see these tracked properly.

Ray
Are these coming in direct from Ecuador or via UE?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
so what im hearing is that the first undeniably legal imports of sylvatica in over a decade will be frogs from a population which bridges 2 known locales? that sucks. sounds like natural histo lehmanni crosses. cool, but i personally wouldnt want them.

i'd like to hear some more details about these. if anyone *cough, stem, cough* wants to PM me i'd appreciate it.

james

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey James, all.

This represents years of work and a monumental effort by WIKIRI and some pretty world renown Ecuadorian biologists to make this happen.

Historically the entirety of the Ecuadorian Choco would have enjoyed sylvatica distribution, with one population naturally running into another in many places, probably a slow transition from morph to morph throughout much of Esmeraldas, Imabaru, Carachi and into Colombia.

Geographically, Alto Tambo and the Otokiki reserve where these "Paru" frogs originate is situated between Lita which is located to the south east and San Lorenzo to North west. The hobby is long familiar with both frogs from near Lita, and those from near San Lorenzo. These Paru frogs, naturally are variable and express some morphological traits from both of these aforementioned neighboring populations. This is to be expected as there is no major naturally geography to isolate these populations. Resource extraction, in many forms has resulted in the isolation and reduction of many pupulations and ranges, but this is a rather recent phenomenon.

Most of these frogs are red/orange to caramel base colour with some hints of yellow spotting on the dorsum. A few lack the spotting and are more uniform in colour, while others have more pronounced spotting. The situation here is no different than what is often seen with pumilio from Isla Bastimentos, the Red and Blue Escudo situation, or variability that is naturally present in many Dendrobatid populations. These are not hybrids between two distinct species as is the case with lehmanii and histrionica hybrids.

WIKIRI is working on a much more detailed informational release, which will in much more detail summarize their work, the conservation, research, and educational work that will benefit from the export of these frogs. As soon as that is ready, we will publish it online.

Personally I do not see what sucks about this.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hey James, all.

This represents years of work and a monumental effort by WIKIRI and some pretty world renown Ecuadorian biologists to make this happen.

Historically the entirety of the Ecuadorian Choco would have enjoyed sylvatica distribution, with one population naturally running into another in many places, probably a slow transition from morph to morph throughout much of Esmeraldas, Imabaru, Carachi and into Colombia.

Geographically, Alto Tambo and the Otokiki reserve where these "Paru" frogs originate is situated between Lita which is located to the south east and San Lorenzo to North west. The hobby is long familiar with both frogs from near Lita, and those from near San Lorenzo. These Paru frogs, naturally are variable and express some morphological traits from both of these aforementioned neighboring populations. This is to be expected as there is no major naturally geography to isolate these populations. Resource extraction, in many forms has resulted in the isolation and reduction of many pupulations and ranges, but this is a rather recent phenomenon.

Most of these frogs are red/orange to caramel base colour with some hints of yellow spotting on the dorsum. A few lack the spotting and are more uniform in colour, while others have more pronounced spotting. The situation here is no different than what is often seen with pumilio from Isla Bastimentos, the Red and Blue Escudo situation, or variability that is naturally present in many Dendrobatid populations. These are not hybrids between two distinct species as is the case with lehmanii and histrionica hybrids.

WIKIRI is working on a much more detailed informational release, which will in much more detail summarize their work, the conservation, research, and educational work that will benefit from the export of these frogs. As soon as that is ready, we will publish it online.

Mark,

Will this be a one-time deal or will it open the door for other sylvatica morphs to make their way to the US/Canada in the future?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Likewise. Its an amazing opportunity and I'm very excited its happening.

I recommend everyone check out Wikiri's website. They are still working on parts of it, but you can see a couple pictures of the frogs and read about what they are doing.

Wikiri Selva Viva - Living Forest

It would be great to see more responsibly farmed populations of sylvatica in the future, but we should definitely focus on establishing these before hoping for more.

Reactions: Ed

·
Registered
242 Posts
"Originally Posted by MPepper
Personally I do not see what sucks about this."

+2

Agreed. This is great. The variability of the population is a positive attribute, in our oppinion. We have looked at the pictures, and all of these are gorgeous frogs. It will be nice to be able to establish a good diverse population in captivity.

Nobody tell Fred! :p

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Mark

Can you tell us how much they are and the approximate age? Also, are they being closely tracked as far as relatedness goes? Are the original breeders set up as pairs, groups, free range in a greenhouse. Is it known what founder stock produced which offspring?

Thanks

Hey James, all.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I understand they will be 4 - 7 months old and very well established. I think you could consider the founding stock a wide and variable group of distantly related animals as all single morphs are, these will be F1 generation produced from this group so tracking as established pairs starting here in the states with the animals we recieve would be the most logical way to track them genetically.
This is a great first step in the hobby working with legitametly produced frogs of this ilk, the rare and elusive egg feeders of the Pacific coast of South America. Hopefully the northern neighbor of Ecuador will recognize this significance and understand sustained harvest may be the only way of ensuring the survival of so many of these coveted species.
Kudos to Luis Coloma and Mark Pepper and the countless others that created this project and made it a success, I am sure none of us realize how much hard work & research went into it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
This is a great first step in the hobby working with legitametly produced frogs of this ilk, the rare and elusive egg feeders of the Pacific coast of South America. Hopefully the northern neighbor of Ecuador will recognize this significance and understand sustained harvest may be the only way of ensuring the survival of so many of these coveted species.
Kudos to Luis Coloma and Mark Pepper and the countless others that created this project and made it a success, I am sure none of us realize how much hard work & research went into it.
This is very exciting! Kudos indeed, Mark and Luis!

·
Registered
215 Posts
More specifics will be posted soon online, but should be from the mouths of WIKIRI, in their words, not mine. Trust me, as soon as it is ready it will be online.

I would like to be clear, as proud as Understory is to be associated with WIKIRI, the work and development was a 100% Ecuadorian endeavor, and they deserve the kudos, not me.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Don't be too modest. I'm sure you put a lot of work into the legal aspect of the importation. I'm betting there was much paperwork involved, and hoops jumped through.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
For a hobby that can't seem to manage whats here and provide cb to people and keep the need for wc to new blood they sure do seem to be addicted to whats coming in next.....I find it funny there is talk of managment for a these frogs when we cant even manage whats here nor will you try.....

How is brining in new species, or morphs going to help the hobby in any way? Its not, its just another way to make a buck is all.

Michael

Reactions: boabab95

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Michael $1000's in donations through these sales going to preserve these species through conservation efforts is how this helps the hobby. This is an outstanding effort in Ecuador and outside of Mark's efforts in Peru these are the only real conservation projects that protect the species we love and bring new and some old species into our hobby.
Managing them here is not the responsibility of these projects, it is up to us to participate and organize these resources. As a hobby we are far from where this management needs to be but light years from where we were not too long ago.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts