Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was originally designing this tank for some RETF’s but, that fell through.. found this gorgeous brom.. had to cut leaves but.. that’s okay..

Anyway, I’m positive this enclosure would be pretty well suited for an Oophaga species or a Ranitomeya species.

Let me know what you think..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s also not with full lighting, just have my LED aquarium light running now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would say love the design but you should put 2inches of leaf litter in the bottom.qnd then measure temps and humidity (70-80f) and humidity around 70 to 95.how big is the footprint and how long has it been set up?your also gonna want get some springtails in their before you trying adding frogs so they have time to populate as either of the frogs you want can decimate the population pretty fast.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m well aware of temp and humidity requirements, thank you though. My substrate is ABG with some mixed calcium bearing clay and then a layer of only calcium bearing clay beneath it.. springtails and isopods are already in.. and have been.. the only aspect I’m missing is leaf litter. That said I have some live oak mixed into the layer of soil for decomposition (for the microfauna) and am baking some magnolia leaves.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Temp stays average at 74 degrees F. Humidity average is 80%.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your opinion.. keeping me in check.

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, (soon)1.1 R.Imitator Varadero
82 Posts
Are these going to be your first dart frogs? If so I don’t know if I would go with oophagas or Ranitomeyas, they are less mistake tolerant, if you want to give it a go make sure everything is perfect and stable, the viv looks nice I don’t like the flower of the brom very much but thats just personal, definitely more leaf litter and maybe some film canisters.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Looks fine for a pair of O.pumilio, or Ranitomeya. If looking to breed them, I would agree with adding more broms, but just as a display pair, this looks good to me!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just a heads up, that Achmea is beautiful in there and you should enjoy it for now, but it's likely to be a fair bit bigger in the end. If you bought it in flower from some place that resells them (like a big box garden center or florist), most of those plants are gassed to trigger flowering at an immature size. Once it pups, you will find they are quite a bit larger than the original plant when mature. I don't know what selection you ended up with for it, but the one I have of this produces 18+ inch diameter individuals for me in my greenhouse.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, the Aechmea is quite large I haven’t measured it but visually it is about 18 inches in diameter or longer as I had to trim some of the leaves so the rosette wasn’t damaged or skewed once mounted and would still retain water appropriately. The enclosure itself is 36x36x18 for an idea of size. The clipped leaves in the front were as long as the long ones toward the center of the enclosure.

I am still wanting to get some more smaller Neo’s for the background and right side and maybe some tiny ones like Chiquita Linda or something for some of the branches on the right as well.

I’m not too concerned with mating/breeding. Would be cool if they did but, not necessarily a goal at this time.

Will probably be a while before I actually start making an effort to obtain frogs as I am pretty picky in terms of what I would like to put in and there are still some additions in terms of plants that I want to add (broms) and want to let the philo/pothos fill in more too.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts