Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My progression into PDF's originally started through freshwater aquaria, then saltwater aquaria, and then finally into PDF's. During my time on saltwater aquarium forums, I enjoyed the online magazines created by those forums. Thus I was wondering if the community thinks it possible to put together a quarterly or monthly online magazine?

Thanks,

Isaac

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I'm sure we could do it, the expertise and the skills are here, it would just be a matter of someone taking the initiative/lead...

·
Registered
117 Posts
The chameleon hobby has one,
http://www.chameleonnews.com
I find it very useful, I think an online magazine for darts would have a lot of really good issues,
really good photos, and really useful information. It would also be
A HECK OF A LOT EASIER
to look through issues for information, than to look though forums for information, that can get tedious and discouraging at some points.

What do we need to do to get started?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that costs money.

I was thinking of something a little more hobby oriented that was free and did not have to be translated.

I think it would be a good resource for beginners. And it would be another feather in dendroboards proverbial hat.

--------------------

As for what is needed to get started would be:

A place to post.
The boards support.
And editor and lead designer.
A design team.
A graphics team.
Writers.

The first two would be critical before even getting started. In order maintain the quality of the magazine and continuity, there would need to be a head editor in charge of all the final decisions. He/She would then need the support of a design 'team' to provide creative input and help find writers, stories, resources, etc. The graphics 'team' would put together the finished product for 'publication'. Then you have the writers who might change with each issue, but they would provide the articles.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
cindre2000 said:
And that costs money.

I was thinking of something a little more hobby oriented that was free and did not have to be translated.

I think it would be a good resource for beginners. And it would be another feather in dendroboards proverbial hat.
I'm sorry I fail to see how Leaf Litter is cost prohibitive and not hobby oriented.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not have an issue with the cost, I am sure it is for a good cause. However, I would prefer a free magazine associated with this board. I do not have a TWI membership, thus I cannot access the magazine to see it's content. However, the purpose of this thread is not to see what magazines are out there, but to see if individuals on this board are interested in creating a Dendroboard periodical.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You do relies twi is a sponsor? So if other people did a db one that be like taking money from coca-cola and selling pepsi. Their is plenty of good beginner info in the care sheet section and if you need advise on something specific do a search. Its a good idea buts its already being done.
Brian

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
There is a care sheet user group for those who are interested in writing articles for our care sheet section. Our community is not as large as some of the other sites who have these monthly magazines..

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Brian Ferriera said:
You do relies twi is a sponsor? So if other people did a db one that be like taking money from coca-cola and selling pepsi. Their is plenty of good beginner info in the care sheet section and if you need advise on something specific do a search. Its a good idea buts its already being done.
Brian
TWI is not a sponsor. DB sponsors TWI, not the other way around.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No matter who sponser's whom, it is not relevant to this conversation. TWI is collecting money for conservation purposes, Dendroboard is a non-profit community of PDF enthusiasts. They are not competing in any way.

There are a couple of small communities that have magazines. It is not the size of the community that matters, is the drive and dedication of the members of that community. All that really matters is whether or not the members of this community are willing to put together a quarterly or monthly magazine, and whether a few choice individuals step up to the plate to organize such a task.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey everyone,
being mainly a lurker of dendro, i've found every contribution i've read helpful on some level.

I am a photographer and graphic designer, and also have a little bit of web design and building experience.
so where I can help, I'm offering myself!

let's do this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
(Sorry this is long, 2am and too much coffee today...<3) A recipe for ideas!! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Leaf Litter is only published semi-annually? And there's not even a Spring 2008 article out yet?...Six articles x twice a year??....And you have to pay for it??... That's 1 article a month. How many new posts and discussions are started on here each DAY.? :wink:

I dunno how I feel about that, there's enough information on vivariums, substrates, culturing ideas, innovative ideas for airflow and drainage, lighting, heating, custom design, etc etc etc. nevermind the frogs themselves, to have some info published quarterly.

The style of http://www.chameleonnews.com online e-zine is a good example/template to follow for a dart frog specific one.

-Monthly or quarterly
-Themed issues, like a region in Brazil issue, or a Panama issue, or a Conservation issue, or a Phyllobates issue, Dendrobates issue, plants issue, etc etc etc.
-Volunteer articles on any of the various topics related to dart frogs
-Every issue could have an article about different feeders or related to culturing feeders
-Every issue could have an article dedicated to innovative ideas that make life easier for either us or our frogs
-Lots and lots of pictures!!
-Eventually possibly some sponsored photo contests or essay contests. Recently on Canadart.org (your northern cousin) had a contest sponsored by UnderstoryEnterprises to design a flyer that they could hand out at conventions, just a one page flyer with general info on dart frogs to hand out to people at shows, for a prize of 100$ to spend at their website. I thought that was such a good idea compared to the generic photo contest; this way the sponsor of the contest gets something they can use to help their business and the hobby.
-I was going to suggest a Q&A article to each issue, but that's better left to the forum. :idea:

Here are some examples of e-zine material!!

This thread is such a great innovative idea that it's more than worthy of being published on an e-zine http://www.dendroboard.com/parts-construction/topic39455.html?hilit=fan

That was brilliant!! And there's so many innovative ideas like that, and if you're gone for a few days and there's 15 pages of new posts, it's easy to miss.

Another good example would be that thread that's currently going on about plaster inserts and springtail culturing. http://www.dendroboard.com/food-feeding/topic40957.html?hilit=springtail

That type of stuff is great e-zine material.

The ''issue'' with forums is that a lot of the time the experienced guys that have been around forever with all their wisdom, they get tired of posting the same things over and over again. You do a search for something and you have to weed through literally hundreds of posts to get the information you're actually looking for. You get that same information in an online e-zine and it's so simple to find, it's gold.

Another ''issue'' is that on a forum something really interesting might only be discussed once, then forgotten and no noob is going to know what keywords to search for to find that information to help them along. Like those two links I just posted about the fan that won't affect humidity by having ventilation to the outside, but still allow for really great airflow; and the thread about the springtail hotel. You won't find those threads by doing a search on 'ventilation' or 'springtails' yet they're two great ideas that make life for you and your frogs better and everyone should know about it.

The forum is great for day-to-day issues, support and discussion; no hobby would evolve without discussion. In fact, the forum will end up being the inspiration for most of the e-zine issues. But having archival information that can be useful and EASILY looked through would help a lot for the noobies, and for keeping up with new information in the dart world; like new species, classification changes. When you go away for a few weeks or months, you miss a lot of important forum posts.

What I'm getting at, is that the e-zine wouldn't replace the forum. The forum would be the backbone of the e-zine :)

And could I make a request that the first issue have info about the revision of the Dendrobates genus? Like the Ranitomeya, Oophaga, Excidobates, Adelphobates. I think that's a pretty foggy area still...

That's my .02cents, now I wish I'd been in the hobby for more than just 18 months so I could contribute something :|

·
Registered
625 Posts
Leaf Litter is only published semi-annually? And there's not even a Spring 2008 article out yet?...Six articles x twice a year??....And you have to pay for it??... That's 1 article a month. How many new posts and discussions are started on here each DAY.? :wink:

I dunno how I feel about that, there's enough information on vivariums, substrates, culturing ideas, innovative ideas for airflow and drainage, lighting, heating, custom design, etc etc etc. nevermind the frogs themselves, to have some info published quarterly.
You're PAYING to join TWI witch is a group of people that have busted thier butts trying to make this more then just a hobby. Every one of the people that contribute are extremely great people and have all work for a living. Thier are only so many hours in a day, and frankly having TWI is more important the an online magazine

The ''issue'' with forums is that a lot of the time the experienced guys that have been around forever with all their wisdom, they get tired of posting the same things over and over again. You do a search for something and you have to weed through literally hundreds of posts to get the information you're actually looking for.
I have done many searches on here and I have no idea what your talking about you dont have to weed through anything

Brian

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I believe the frequency of publishing leaf litter is due to the resources available (writers, publishers, etc.). I would encourage those interested to join TWI and offer to help with the magazine.

·
Administrator
8,676 Posts
You know... griping/whining about something that does not exist sounds like a recipe to ...

Create it!

I realize you actually kind of said this already - but put your energy into the project (and recruiting for it).

Actually, that is much how Dendroboard came into existence. Someone was told (on FrogNet) to quit whining about it (we won't say <cough>who</cough> said this (but it might've been me)) and go do it.

Joe did - this is the result.

Not bad ...

s

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I think a community generated magazine could be fun. So many good conversations happen here, and some get stickied, but a magazine could be a good way of making the ideas more concrete and user friendly. Who is going to take the lead?
-mark

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would be willing to put myself forth as lead or one of the design team. But before we get to ahead of ourselves we will need to make sure we can get the magazine hosted and set up properly.

The magazine that brock linked to (http://www.chameleonnews.com) is a really nice template of how to start. Nice and simple, easy to set up.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts