Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Exo-Terras are not created equal. You can go to the store and see 10 18x18x24 Exos and they will all have slightly different spacing. On a good Exo I can seal up the cord area on the top and the small gap on the bottom hinge side of the doors with silicone and stop most escapes. Zoomed and Zilla have a much larger gap that won't stop a thing. Personally for darts I would prefer the Zoomed style enclosure with one door because most darts won't hop right out into my face. The thumbnails maybe and I might use 2 door for them.

One thing I noticed on the Petsmart Thrive vivariums is a gasket on the hinge side of the door that slides over the glass and has a long plastic tab that is flexible making a seal with the side of the vivarium. I would love to source this stuff so it can be used on Zilla and Zoomed vivariums and I'm sure others would too. Anybody have a clue were we can buy it?

You might be able to see it in this picture. Imagine a u shape that slides over the door glass and extends backwards like thing flexible plastic. Since the side is 90 degrees to the door it puts pressure. The tops on thrive vivarium's look well made but the holes may be to big for fruit flies which cracks me up because they got the sides right for fruit flies and over engineer the top leaving larger holes. Another dumb thing on for THrive is some have a front vent at the top of the vivarium near the screen. Why on earth did they make a vent at the top and not near the bottom to create a chimney effect?

Thrive Tropical Reptile Corner Terrarium - 20 Gallon | reptile Terrariums | PetSmart

·
Registered
No frogs yet, but 2 uromastyx, 4 red ackies, 6 budgies, 100s tropical fish/snails/shrimp
34 Posts
Look through here?

Cool site, thank you!

OP: You might also check with a local glass company/glazier. Our glazier has plastic seals he offered to use on my terrarium that close any gaps between the doors and between the doors and frame. The fit was tight enough that I didn't take him up on it, but he made it sound like a standard item for steam shower enclosures, etc..

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Man what is it thats so mesmerizing about plastics.. its like Half Rounds...oohhhh...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a zoomed that had a large gap on the hinge side of the door which I was able to fix by carefully splitting open a length of standard aquarium airline tubing cut to the exact length of the door. I just slid it over the edge of the glass and it gripped quite nicely and formed a perfect seal that I've never had to replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts