Dendroboard banner

261 - 274 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've always loved this thread and I thought it was time to bump it back. This year I broke my old dental mirror. It had been a faithful and useful tool, however when I went o replace it I splurged and treated myself to the "TEKTON 7609 telescoping inspection mirror". It has a couple little LED's on it and is a larger mirror. Excellent tool for looking down into brom axials and other hard to see locations in the vivarium.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got a bit of a housekeeping trick that I like to help control escapee fruit flies. I got a couple of pitcher plants and just potted them and put them on shelves in my office where I keep my frog tanks. Takes care of a good number of the wandering flies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tbh I'm not sure if I'm qualified to make a suggestion here as I have zero experience with pdfs. But with the option to remove this post I'll give the suggestion anyway.

I was thinking this might be good for FFs round funnels or whatever else you use to hold the fruit flies before sending them to their doom.

I talked to a group of people a while ago that keep/sell/setup leaf cutting ant colonies. These we buggers are the masters of escaping tanks (chewing through silicone, rubber seals etc) when it came to areas of a tank that has an open top an inch or so of Vaseline was applied round the rim, this prevented the ants from escaping (there's always one though) just thought this might work with FFs

Roo

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tbh I'm not sure if I'm qualified to make a suggestion here as I have zero experience with pdfs. But with the option to remove this post I'll give the suggestion anyway.

I was thinking this might be good for FFs round funnels or whatever else you use to hold the fruit flies before sending them to their doom.

Vaseline

I talked to a group of people a while ago that keep/sell/setup leaf cutting ant colonies. These we buggers are the masters of escaping tanks (chewing through silicone, rubber seals etc) when it came to areas of a tank that has an open top an inch or so of Vaseline was applied round the rim, this prevented the ants from escaping (there's always one though) just thought this might work with FFs

Roo

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #265

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
^^ hmmmm

it's a tiny bit 'finer' perhaps....maybe due to the lower pressure.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Waking this thread back up because why not.

Probably has been said but who has the time to read through 11 pages...

1. Spare glass door(s). Especially if all your vivs are the same size, having a spare door is a life saver for when you (me) drop one and it shatters all over the floor. Nothing fancy- can be the thinnest cheapest glass you can find.

Also useful when cleaning the permanent doors and you don't have an assistant to watch for escape attempts.

2. Spray bottle of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Useful for cleaning a table surface when you want to work on a springtail culture but don't want mites getting in.

Also useful for a quick clean of your temporary glass door to minimize cross contamination of vivs.

Especially useful for when you (me) drop a booming fruit fly culture on the floor today and tons of live fruit flies are quickly spreading from ground zero. Spritz them down with the alcohol and wipe 'em up with a paper towel. Instant kill and clean.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Such a good thread. Who started it?

I stocked up on Isopropyl and was wiping down my FF rack and while I haven't done a thorough study....it doesn't seem to be knocking out the mites.

They quickly return to the surface that had been wiped too.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
really excited about the ultra-fine mist from these! I have these and they are great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079RLZSYL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOW we just gotta find another larger reservoir instead on the small bottle. It has an odd size opening but I'm confident someone seeing this post will find a larger bottle for these so they last long between fills.
Agreed on all counts,and would love to follow up on the larger bottle size.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have a couple of metal/everything snips that get a lot of use.

Another helper is a hand auto siphon, red plastic bulb, 6, 7 bucks that i find Im using with a bucket more frequently than I use the siphon that attaches to the faucet. Its just quicker. A length of the polyvinyl tubing to put bucket reach on the drain end.

I use it for my turtles tank but it could be used for drainage water tables, water feature replacemrnts etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Being very new to this hobby ( Get my tank Thursday ) Dendroboard ( Haven't stopped reading since joining ) and all the members on here with help and advice.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Grates. Metal Grates. pref SS. For drying, disinfecting, and storing. Grates are clinically proven for situ antisepsis, lab work, zoo service areas, and broadly reflected in human food prep and hospital situ. Austere surface areas + fast temp and impact coverage.

261 - 274 of 274 Posts