Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
List one item or tool ect, that you have purchased in say....a hardware, craft or even a restaurant store that you wish to pass on to the masses as possibly indispensible or newly discovered.

I'll go first...

2 speeds, variable positions and the best part...the clip..a Godsend for my baker's rack systems. I bought a dozen...

See larger image and other views
Share your own customer images

Holmes HACP9 Oscilllating Clip Fan

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
InfraRed temp gun.

I orginally bought it when I raised tropical fish but I use it all around the frog room as well. Just point and shoot and you get an instant temperature reading.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Space heaters, especially for northern folk. My whole house remains a constant 58F in the winter months but the frog room is kept at 71 with a 20 dollar space heater. I have only used one model but it has worked great so far. It shaves a lot of money off the heating bill each month.

The only bad thing is that you have to manually turn it on/off, it doesn't adjust based on the temp in the room. There is an "eco setting" where it automatically shuts off after 4 hours, otherwise you have to either put it on a timer or adjust it manually.

I got mine at target, not sure if they still carry it though.

Holmes HEH8001-U1 Energy Efficient Eco-Smart Space Heater... review at Kaboodle

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I can't limit myself to one thing - so I'll list two (well actually three)

Sterilite storage shelves and Solo 5oz. cups

At least for the species that I work with (mostly thumbs) - this setup allows me to keep individual tadpoles in a very confined space. 3 racks fit perfectly across a 48" metal rack. I use 6 shelving systems (18 shelves) and each shelf can hold 16 5oz. cups - or 288 tadpoles in a 48"x24"x18" area. Lately I haven't even filled 20% of that capacity, but it is nice to have it.

Also - a Vornado fan. Great for circulating room air. Works in the winter and summer to keep temperatures more even in the room. While I do take advantage of natural temperature gradients by keeping the species that like the warmth higher up, in the winter the temp near the floor can get a bit cool. This fan does a great job at leveling things off. I think they also make them attached to heaters for those that need them.

Oz

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Hey Phil, I've been considering some of those for my rack to help cool the lights a bit. Is that what your doing with them?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim,

I have the ubiquitous baker's rack system as you know.....I plied them with two 48" WalMart florescent fixtures for $10.00 each and am using some type of Phillips plant lights T 10's that do not throw of much heat.

2 rows of lights for a total of 4 bulbs per shelf with 4 shelves utilizing the lights for a grande total of 16 bulbs per rack!

Even with all those ballasts, I really don't get a big temp increase. My tiled concrete floor stays @ 72F and my ceiling temp is @ 78F. Ambiant room humidity is sometimes 50% !

The fixtures are flex tied to the bottom of the wire racks and there is a very interesting thing at work here...when tied tight, there is a nice 1/2 inch space between the top of the shelf and the fixture, creating a nice heat dissapation pocket.

But to answer your question, I use those fans for everything:
  • a little cooling
  • directed on the vivs for air exchange even with a glass lid
  • directed on floor spills to speed evaporation
  • to stir up FF in or near vivs
you name it....they are that handy.

PS...I have a nice Sony DSLR camera....maybe it's time I learned how to use it so I could post some picks of my frogs and vivs and racks...:eek:

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got this bad boy about 8 months ago....it...is.....verynice!

Cannot live without it....I just may bring it to Scott's and spray Nate with it....

Hate pumpin' for that weak azz pressure? I did.....

Rechargeable Backpack Sprayer

Rechargeable Backpack Sprayer SRS 600
</B>New from SHURflo, the SRS-600 offers breakthrough performance, convenience, versatility and comfort in a backpack sprayer. ProPack™ eliminates the need for the operator to continually "pump up" the sprayer to maintain a constant and steady spray pattern as with manually powered sprayers, making spraying faster and easier than ever.
The ProPack's™ micro-processor control allows the operator to select one of four pump speeds, that when used in conjuction with the included adjustable cone nozzle can deliver a delicate mist, high volume spray, or long-range stream to meet any spraying need.
The unique battery pack can be charged in place, or easily removed without the use of tools for remote charging. The light-weight ergonomically designed tank, full breathable back pad, thick resilient shoulder pads, and waist belt make the ProPack™ comfortable even with a full load.

Features
Sprays up to 120 gallons (454 Liters) on a single charge
High performance chemical resistant SHURflo pump
Advanced microprocessor pump control
Variable speed and adjustable nozzle for light or heavy duty spraying
Ultra comfortable ergonomic design, full back pad, and thickly padded shoulder harness
Advanced one touch master control-select from four speed settings
On demand operation-depress the hand lever to begin spraying release to stop
Select low speed settings for a light mist for delicate work
Use the high settings for a dense spray to cover large areas quickly
Set the spray tip to stream and select the high speed setting on the pump for hard to reach areas
The micro-processor regulates pump speed for consistent spray at all settings
The status lamp indicates power on and blinks when the battery needs recharging

Specifications
Pump, 12 VDC, 1.0 GPM Max. 40-PSI Demand Switch, Polypropylene Pump Body, Viton valves, Santoprene diaphragm, Charger Automatic Sealed Lead Acid 120 Volt
60 Hz input (230 Volt/50Hz available), 12 VDC 500 mA Output
Spray Hose: Reinforced/Braided PVC
Spray Wand: Polypropylene handle, aluminum lance, Plastic Tip, Adjustable Cone
Battery: 12 Volt, 7.0 Amp/ Hour Sealed Lead/ Acid Extra Batteries are available for $38.00 # SRS-600
$169.99

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
A good pair of tweezers. I can't even recall how many uses I've come up with for both ends - I use the flat end like an apothecary tool for Ca when I'm dusting springtails (yes, I do that). Besides using the grasping end for pinning things, it can be used to poke holes and so on... A great little terrarium keeping tool. It's hard to say when you'll need something close by to grab or scrape something small. I got mine here: Jewelers Tweezers - Kingsley North, not local though. I have the Grobet USA Slide Locking Tweezers. This place has all sorts of nifty small items, like clamps, loupes, and torches. Oh yeah, in the same vein - scissors, a must have. Ah, Pliers too! Too many items that make life easier to list. Already thought of another, the handy Dremel Tool. :D

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Think that would work good with a solenoid etc for a DIY automatic misting system?

edit: oops just saw the price, a pump would be cheaper :p

Got this bad boy about 8 months ago....it...is.....verynice!

Cannot live without it....I just may bring it to Scott's and spray Nate with it....

Hate pumpin' for that weak azz pressure? I did.....

Rechargeable Backpack Sprayer

Rechargeable Backpack Sprayer SRS 600 </B>New from SHURflo, the SRS-600 offers breakthrough performance, convenience, versatility and comfort in a backpack sprayer. ProPack™ eliminates the need for the operator to continually "pump up" the sprayer to maintain a constant and steady spray pattern as with manually powered sprayers, making spraying faster and easier than ever.
The ProPack's™ micro-processor control allows the operator to select one of four pump speeds, that when used in conjuction with the included adjustable cone nozzle can deliver a delicate mist, high volume spray, or long-range stream to meet any spraying need.
The unique battery pack can be charged in place, or easily removed without the use of tools for remote charging. The light-weight ergonomically designed tank, full breathable back pad, thick resilient shoulder pads, and waist belt make the ProPack™ comfortable even with a full load.

Features
Sprays up to 120 gallons (454 Liters) on a single charge
High performance chemical resistant SHURflo pump
Advanced microprocessor pump control
Variable speed and adjustable nozzle for light or heavy duty spraying
Ultra comfortable ergonomic design, full back pad, and thickly padded shoulder harness
Advanced one touch master control-select from four speed settings
On demand operation-depress the hand lever to begin spraying release to stop
Select low speed settings for a light mist for delicate work
Use the high settings for a dense spray to cover large areas quickly
Set the spray tip to stream and select the high speed setting on the pump for hard to reach areas
The micro-processor regulates pump speed for consistent spray at all settings
The status lamp indicates power on and blinks when the battery needs recharging

Specifications
Pump, 12 VDC, 1.0 GPM Max. 40-PSI Demand Switch, Polypropylene Pump Body, Viton valves, Santoprene diaphragm, Charger Automatic Sealed Lead Acid 120 Volt
60 Hz input (230 Volt/50Hz available), 12 VDC 500 mA Output
Spray Hose: Reinforced/Braided PVC
Spray Wand: Polypropylene handle, aluminum lance, Plastic Tip, Adjustable Cone
Battery: 12 Volt, 7.0 Amp/ Hour Sealed Lead/ Acid Extra Batteries are available for $38.00 # SRS-600
$169.99

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Aqualifter dosing pump. I use one to drain excess water from the tanks (great if you don't want to drill for a drain). Just set it on top and drop one end into a pond or other spot to access water and drop the other end into a bucket. It's fairly quick and very easy to use.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have some of these shelves myself.They are much better than the bakers racks to me. I got them when a few of the retailers shut down. Do you work in a retail environment? Just curious.

TonyT

Black contact paper - nice and clean looking.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
190 oz. containers: to use as temp enclosures, for froglets, new aquisitions, plants, transportation ect.

(photo taken from joshsfrogs)

1 - 20 of 274 Posts