Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,915 Posts
Ben E said:
well...i can say that pumilio will really like a smaller bromeliad..i think i even read a paper about bromeliad prefference size with pumilio (they selected smaller plants because of the liklihood of predators being in larger pooled plants)....i have seen pumilio raise tads in very small plants but never in huge plants. Histrionicus and sylvaticus like a little larger plant but not pumilio. Also the white waxy coating you are reffering to on the plant in question is an adaptation to periods of drought....i think your plant will rot out in constant humditiy... just something to think about...ben
The paper you are referring to is a student project that is on the web and an interesting read. I have two large Vriesia splendens (sp?) in my blue jeans viv and as far as I know, they have never used them for tads. The froglets seem to be popping out of smaller broms.

The brom described sounds like the common Aechmea found for sale at discount stores and nurseries.

· Registered
1,915 Posts
Ben E said:
well...i can say that pumilio will really like a smaller bromeliad..i think i even read a paper about bromeliad prefference size with pumilio (they selected smaller plants because of the liklihood of predators being in larger pooled plants)....i have seen pumilio raise tads in very small plants but never in huge plants. Histrionicus and sylvaticus like a little larger plant but not pumilio. Also the white waxy coating you are reffering to on the plant in question is an adaptation to periods of drought....i think your plant will rot out in constant humditiy... just something to think about...ben
The paper you are referring to is a student project that is on the web and an interesting read. I have two large Vriesia splendens (sp?) in my blue jeans viv and as far as I know, they have never used them for tads. The froglets seem to be popping out of smaller broms.

The brom described sounds like the common Aechmea found for sale at discount stores and nurseries.

· Registered
1,915 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.