Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been keeping my pair of Almirante in a small quarintine tank for awhile and dont have all the supplies on hand that I would like to build the tank I invision for them in my head. So today I got a really good deal on a huge brom that will take up my entire 30g cube. I plan on just putting them in with that. Im not sure of the species of the brom. Its has a large bright pink floweing clump that looks like a club and is spikey. I plan on cutting out the whole floweing stalk. It also has white bands on the leaves that is almost waxy and comes off if you rub it. This doesnt seem to be a very common practice to use one very large brom per tank. One problem I could see is a lack of variation for tad disposition sites but other then that I think it could be a good home for them. How do you think a tank like that would work for a pair of pums.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Greaser,

I did this exact thing about two years ago. I never got around to adding the frogs. Pumilio were hard to find at that time. Anyway now I have the same tank (2'x2'x2') cube with one neoregilia compacta in it. This bromeliad is not quite as large but it has a similar feel to it. I think you would do good with this setup and there might actually be more useable deposition sights. Being a larger bromeliad and all. Good luck.

Brad

·
Registered
248 Posts
well...i can say that pumilio will really like a smaller bromeliad..i think i even read a paper about bromeliad prefference size with pumilio (they selected smaller plants because of the liklihood of predators being in larger pooled plants)....i have seen pumilio raise tads in very small plants but never in huge plants. Histrionicus and sylvaticus like a little larger plant but not pumilio. Also the white waxy coating you are reffering to on the plant in question is an adaptation to periods of drought....i think your plant will rot out in constant humditiy... just something to think about...ben

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Ben E said:
well...i can say that pumilio will really like a smaller bromeliad..i think i even read a paper about bromeliad prefference size with pumilio (they selected smaller plants because of the liklihood of predators being in larger pooled plants)....i have seen pumilio raise tads in very small plants but never in huge plants. Histrionicus and sylvaticus like a little larger plant but not pumilio. Also the white waxy coating you are reffering to on the plant in question is an adaptation to periods of drought....i think your plant will rot out in constant humditiy... just something to think about...ben
The paper you are referring to is a student project that is on the web and an interesting read. I have two large Vriesia splendens (sp?) in my blue jeans viv and as far as I know, they have never used them for tads. The froglets seem to be popping out of smaller broms.

The brom described sounds like the common Aechmea found for sale at discount stores and nurseries.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Ben E said:
The paper you are referring to is a student project that is on the web and an interesting read. I have two large Vriesia splendens (sp?) in my blue jeans viv and as far as I know, they have never used them for tads. The froglets seem to be popping out of smaller broms.

The brom described sounds like the common Aechmea found for sale at discount stores and nurseries.

G

·
Ben E said:
i even read a paper about bromeliad prefference size with pumilio

bbrock said:
The paper you are referring to is a student project that is on the web and an interesting read.

Can you guys provide a link to this paper? I'd like to read it as well.

thanks,
Isaac

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bbrock I think you are right about it being an Aechmea. I also figured that the coating on the leaves were there to hold on to extra moisture. But I think that this plant will hold up in a viv. With the tilandsias the plants that have the similar coatings on them are the ones that need a little more moisture then the other types. That being said they are still have a very good potential to rot so mabey this brom is more likely to rot them some other species. I still may give this a try and see how the frogs do with it. At least untill I can buy some more wood and plants I like.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts