Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interesting occurence. I have a pair of leucs from Sean Stewart that have been breeding for me for about 2.5 years. They have produced dozens of babies that have been large and healthy. However, a few of them have morphed out missing an eye recently. Not only the eye, but their supraorbital ridge. The fact that I have never seen this before suggests (to me) it is not genetic. Has anyone else experienced this type of odd metamorphosis? Other than missing one eye, the two I already have morphed out are perfectly healthy. I have a third morphing out now.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have an interesting occurence. I have a pair of leucs from Sean Stewart that have been breeding for me for about 2.5 years. They have produced dozens of babies that have been large and healthy. However, a few of them have morphed out missing an eye recently. Not only the eye, but their supraorbital ridge. The fact that I have never seen this before suggests (to me) it is not genetic. Has anyone else experienced this type of odd metamorphosis? Other than missing one eye, the two I already have morphed out are perfectly healthy. I have a third morphing out now.
What are your rearing specs? Maybe it is a deformity as a result of a contaminant? I see you have been around a while, and assuredly are more experienced than I am... I would however, like to see a pic out of sheer curiousity.

Hope you resolve the issue ;)

JBear

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have reared my leuc tads in groups ever since I started breeding them. This issue is only affecting the leucs. The only thing I have changed is that i am using DO/DI water instead of dechlorinated tap water now that I use the water for my aquarium. Typically I fill a large tub with water, add some leaves and throw the tads in.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have reared my leuc tads in groups ever since I started breeding them. This issue is only affecting the leucs. The only thing I have changed is that i am using DO/DI water instead of dechlorinated tap water now that I use the water for my aquarium. Typically I fill a large tub with water, add some leaves and throw the tads in.
Maybe something is occuring as was speculated in this post: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/691127-post8.html

In this thread the frog had not only front limb issues, but also cranial malformation.

Just a thought...

JBear

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Kinda weird thing I've not had happen before - but interesting that you note that it happened after you changed water sources. Are you reconstituting the water? When you use water of the purity you actually have to add SOME minerals and what not back in (the reason products like RO Right exist). The leaf tannins are nice, but the lower pH with no buffers in the water makes it dangerous for crazy pH swings, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were related to some developmental issues. When making blackwater for my tads, fish , and specific blackwater plants I keep the TDS low, but there needs to be SOMETHING.

Related to the links, you could still have some nutritional issues with the adults (especially if the animals didn't have distinct breeding seasons), but the nutritional issues with their development could also occur when developing as tadpoles because their water and diet don't supply what they need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts