Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
only 1 type of c.b. frog on that list...super sad. We've come a long way in this hobby since then

However, when I read the thread title, I was expecting to see histos for like $30 or something.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Anytime I look at those old lists I still remember Ron G sending me all those histrionicus for about $40..........

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
What happend to all the histrionicus in the hobby? Are they hard to breed in captivity?
Most of them showed up in very bad shape and either died shortly after being imported or failed to thrive over time. A few people managed to keep them going and successes are more common now, but they are still very challenging. The search feature will bring up lots of info on their history in the hobby.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wow cool price lists! Fun to see stuff like that! I have a stack of my New England Herp society newsletters, which is now out of production for the moment, and reptiles and Vivarium magazine. Probably 200-300 magazines somewhere at my parents house. From early to late 90s. A lot of weird and defunct reptile magazines that maybe lasted a year..plus annuals.

I need to dig those up as some of the price lists on there are interesting.

Wow $40 for histos. What a gorgeous species. While Azureus were very expensive at one point and once considered hard to breed, they definitely were easy enough to slowly branch out in numbers and become common. I think they're the most gorgeous dart frog there is. An all blue frog is just awesome to me. But since they've become common, the perception of them has changed. As some friends and I have talked about here, they're possibly becoming less common as the bloodlines aren't as diverse as people think. The perception of frogs always baffles me. I'm sure $40 Histrionica weren't as coveted back then. Same with Silverstoni.

At frog day, I saw maybe half a dozen azureus tops. I was expecting tons. Also, I didn't see any Costa Rican Auratus like I have in the past. Bright green. Plenty of blue and black sub adults though that were awesome.

Hopefully with Histos, at least red-heads will be getting more and more common. Seems like a decent amount of people are working with them and slowly having better luck. Sure froglets don't live to adulthood often, but I hear that the more and more they breed in captivity, the better the offspring are doing. Maybe the froglets that make it now will be great adult breeders and the offspring will do way better. I'm optimistic as a goal of mine lately is to own 2-3 red headed histos to work with.

Awesome lists though. I saved them in my picture files. Hope that's cool.

D

·
Banned
685 Posts
I read an article the other day in an old magazine that said even though Tincs were more expensive than the common auratus and strawberry dart frogs, they were a better frog for the beginner, and the $75 may be worth the money. :eek:

·
Banned
685 Posts
I went digging tonight. No old price lists, but I found my copy of Jewels of the Rainforest I bought in 1994. (The thing weighs about ten pounds. The binding needs fixed, but the pages are in great shape)

And John Uherns phone number. Anyone remember John? Always claimed to have the largest selection of Dart frogs in the USA.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Gee, is that list the origin of "giant orange" terminology.

My dad had a huge collection of old pricelists. I'll never forget one from Africa that offered baby mountain gorillas for $100!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts