Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several pics of people putting old ff cultures in a Viv for the frogs to eat the remaining flies and wonder if there is anything that would make this not a good idea? I use Josh frogs ff media and coffee filters. Is it okay to put the 4 week old cultures in the vivs? Take out the coffee filter? Thanks for your help! I hate wasting flies!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Why waste flies? I thump them out to the last one :p

While I don't have personal experience with it, I've read stories here about frogs getting into the media and suffocating or getting tangled in the excelsior. Something that I have done a few times, when a culture was getting mitey or whatever, is strain the larvae out of the media through a small sieve thingy. Frogs love a larvae treat. :D

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Kaity, I've done it myself, but only when pinched for flies. An in tank culture presents a danger of the frogs getting stuck in the media. The media gets gooier because of the humidity. If there are enough old casings, this is probably not a danger but I have personally lost a frog this way while on vacation once. Another solution would be to put a circle of bridal veil mesh over it so flies can get out and frogs can't get in.
If you do decide to do this you will find that the tanks humidity can actually stretch the life of the culture and extra month or more! This can lead to extra mites in your viv. Up to you to decide if that is a problem or just more nutrition.
One last concern is that you will not be dusting flies during this time. Even if you do dust some and throw them in, Your frogs may be full and ignore them.
That's the pros, cons, and dangers as I have seen them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Glad I asked... I won't risk it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I still like my mashed up banana/superpig in a film can feeder stations. Keeps the flies in the tank and yummy maggot snacks for in between feedings. Especially handy if you are lazy like me and forget to start a new culture soon enough. Stretches out those feeding times. Not enough mix in the can to trap a frog. Only fill it about 1/2 - 1/4 and lay it on its side on the LL. Springs ill congregate and reproduce like crazy here as well. Usually will find the frogs sifting under the leaves around the film can.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have a fly lid that I removed the paper from so it has holes in it like a giant salt shaker. When I get to the end of a culture, I put that lid on and shake it over a tank. Sometimes too much debris will start to come out, so I just place the culture in the tank, with the modified lid still on it. Most of the flies will wander out and get eaten. I pull the culture out the next morning an clean it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts