Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
im finally working on my viv.... i purchased 3 bricks of eco earth compressed coco fiber..... two bags of sphagnam moss,charcoal, what else do I need to make a substrate mix for my 22x22x 24 in corner aquarium Pentagon??
what ratio?? is there any othere media that I need....
it has egg crate false floor raised 3 in off bottom of tank. which is covered in fiberglass window screen. it will have a hose to beable to remove excess water from under false bottom.
there will be pea gravel around the bottom to hide the egg crate.
It wilhave a center piece of wood and be set up open with maybe a few broms, starts off of my wifes philos and arrowhead plant . I have a couple piece of slate and several pieces of petrified wood. I want to keep it simple..
Im leaning toward Leucs or blue azureus frogs and a forrest floor setup....
thanks
Larry

·
Registered
454 Posts
make sure you have all natural WOOD charcoal without ANY chemicals

I personally like to add a little drainage to the setup via orchid bark

3 bricks is probably WAY more than you need :)

as for ratios...there are several "substrate recipe" threads that go into depth on this

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks......
i bought the 3 brick pack as it was more efficient money wise (im setting up a five gal for a plant nursury tank, any idea (does it matter??)of a ratio??
I figure if plant will grow roots in water it should do fine in loose airy substrate as long as its damp...
Larry

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks..
im wanting to get it setup and cultures going so i can get Frogs.....
Larry

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I like to use 50% organic soil mixed with 25% dead leaves and 25% sphagnum moss blended thoroughly together. It looks natural and drains well. I am a simple guy though ;)

JBear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts