Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having some Green Sips that should be in transit on the way to my house. I also like to stare at insects while wearing only my boxer shorts alone in my attic compound

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok that was my friend who finished my post for me after I left the room. They think its funny that the other day they came in my room and I was just sitting on my bed in my boxers looking at my parying mantis jar.

Anyways I have some Green Sips in the mail that shoud be droped off by UPS by 10am....just 10 hours from now. But its down to 50 tonight and when we talked about shiping them we both thought it was gonna be warmer and he said that he was planing on not sending them with a heat pack. He also said that he wasnt going to have online access to check his emails or the weather for the next coupe days. So as far as I know they are sitting in the cold without any extra heat.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Greaser, I wouldn't worry too much about your frogs coming in cold. I've had the exact same scenario happen to me before, and the frogs ended up coming in happy and alert. I believe in my case, the temps unexpectantly dropped down to 50 or 55, and the shipper didn't put any heat packs in with them, either. They were sent via Fedex and didn't arrive until about 4:00pm the next day. Both frogs were fine, although I can't say the same for my nerves! Give us an update later and good luck with 'em!

Randy
http://www.fruitflyspecialties.com

G

·
That stinks. Let us know how it goes. BTW, if you had your locality listed we'd at least know where you are from and maybe the associated weather...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I had a frog sit an extra day because of a stupid mistake by the USPS, and it actually dropped down to around 50. When I got her, she was cold and lethargic... but after warming up she became active, alert, and hungry lol. Actually it was also a Sip tinc now that I think about it, maybe they have bad luck with shipping (just kidding of course). Hopefully yours will be fine, in general it is better to be cooler then warmer for darts and they will be inside... so it might not be really that cold for them. Good luck with them.

G

·
Your frogs should be fine. A nighttime temp of 50 is really pushing it but considering they are being flwon to your local airport, I would say that they will be on the plane(s) throughout the night and not as exposed to the cold.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THEY ARE GREAT! They both seem to be in fine and happy and im going to see if they will eat soon. Thanks so much for all of your concern.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Congrats! Glad that they came in okay. We had a bad experience with the very first frogs we ever ordered. They were 0.0.3 D.oyapok tincs and the shiper used a seven hour heat pack. We couldn't believe that it wasn't a 40 hour pack. I don't remember how low the temps got, but it was bad. Then they were delayed a day because of a plane malfunction. It sucked! Talk about nerves. We were talkiing to Sean Stewart at the time about other frogs (the oyapoks weren't from him) and were telling him about what was going on. He thought that they should be okay. Well...they all showed up dead. Tiny little popcicles. We had read on Sean's web site that he had the same thing happen before and out of frustration he just put the container in a vivarium and left them overnight, not wanting to deal with them. To his suprise in the morning they were alive! So we tried the same thing and one was alive the next day. It is fine and happy now. He says on his site that you should NEVER throw away "frozen" frogs, just because you never know. Kinda crazy. Anyway, good luck with the sips! :)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The "bug man" at the reptile show said he is an African Giant Mantis. The thing is amazing, I love to watch him stalk his prey, There is nothing like it. Also the fact that the Mantis is able to turn its head so far( I think almost all the way around) and look in all different directions makes it really unique and feels different then when you are looking at other insects. You know there are little gears turning in there, they watch you and are always figureing things out. I had a large black ant in there the other night and the Mantis tore it in half and was holding both sides of the ant in either leg eating from both sides of it! It was also only 10$ And really easy to take care of. I got him not even an 1" long and he is about 1 1/2" now, he should reach 8".

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thats awesome! Have you seen the orchid mantids? They are crazy looking. I want an african ooth though. About 200 eggs per each one. Would give away most but cheaper that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts