Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about isopods and springtails for months now as I prepare for my first build, but I never actually knew what they were. Well, I think that isopods are pillbugs. But finally, as I realized I had to order the springtails soon, I decided I needed to find out what they actually are.

so I googled springtails.

GROSS!

Do I actually need these ugly white termite things to make my viv work? Whats wrong with cute bugs?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ooh, I just googled that too and you're right they are freaky. However, in real life they're tiny and I could see someone perhaps calling them cute. I've got them in my viv and they're definitely freakier magnified in pictures...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Haha love this topic. They are gross 'till they start to do the job... Then the grossness is usually forgotten. Springtails do a great job cleaning, and once you see them in person they really aren't bad. Magnified they look a little intimidating - but they are so tiny in person. It's tough to be bothered by them. (this coming from an arachnophobe!)

A picture for you:

:eek: (That whole picture could fit on a dime - they are that small!)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Do I actually need these ugly white termite things to make my viv work? Whats wrong with cute bugs?
Its not a matter of making your viv work it's making sure your frogs are well fed
Yeah they help clean your viv but they are mainly a food source.
Bugs aren't that gross lol
Bugs aren't cute haha
Hopefully you'll just order some and understand it's a staple when it comes to PDFs :p

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, I'm a gecko person. I'm not committed to PDF's just YET!! First viv is for mourning geckos. Then maybe....Mr Bethinak will allow me to get PDFs
but i think i need springtails for mourning geckos too. This will save me from dusting crickets.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I love bugs. Starting to get very serious about keeping mutiple species of springs and isos. They are awesome.

But then I enjoy the whole PDF environment deal as well. The plants, the bugs, and the frogs.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
By culling all the ugly and gross ones, I have created lines of only cute isopods and springtails! Plus, they breed faster because their mates are so attractive! ;) Only problem is, they spend most of their time gazing into tiny little mirrors.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
HAHAHA. They must have several mirrors for all their extra arms ;)

I mean, as far as bugs go I don't think they look too bad:

Looks pretty close to a realistic stuffed bug toy as I can think of lol

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love bugs. Starting to get very serious about keeping mutiple species of springs and isos. They are awesome.

But then I enjoy the whole PDF environment deal as well. The plants, the bugs, and the frogs.
i love worms and caterpillars and pillbugs and spiders and beetles.
I was just surprised at the termite thingies. I'll get used to them.
Maybe the pink ones are prettier. Anyone have a picture of pink pretty springtails?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe they are ugly so I won't feel bad when my geckos EAT THEM!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
They are so tiny that they really aren't that scary...but the post Ed made the other day about them inhabiting someones sinuses kinda freaked me out! The magnified pics you get when you google them are freaky though. I found a bunch of purple ones one time...looked like living velvet it was awesome.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By culling all the ugly and gross ones, I have created lines of only cute isopods and springtails! Plus, they breed faster because their mates are so attractive! ;) Only problem is, they spend most of their time gazing into tiny little mirrors.

ROFLMAO
ah, I love this.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They are so tiny that they really aren't that scary...but the post Ed made the other day about them inhabiting someones sinuses kinda freaked me out! The magnified pics you get when you google them are freaky though. I found a bunch of purple ones one time...looked like living velvet it was awesome.

inhabiting a HUMANS sinuses? I'm kind of glad I missed this, but now feel compelled to search

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Seriously though, pm me when you are ready. I have a good number of different types available with a live guarantee.

Reactions: BethInAK

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seriously though, pm me when you are ready. I have a good number of different types available with a live guarantee.

Thank you Doug!! I want the really cute ones ;)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Pretty much everything looks gross under a microscope.... in real life, they look like...... reaaally tiny/skinny grains of rice with legs.

You should still dust your crickets though, geckos still need the calcium and vitamins... but yeah, springtails are a helpful supplementary food, especially for babies.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pretty much everything looks gross under a microscope.... in real life, they look like...... reaaally tiny/skinny grains of rice with legs.

You should still dust your crickets though, geckos still need the calcium and vitamins... but yeah, springtails are a helpful supplementary food, especially for babies.

I plan on skipping the crickets and feeding mostly crested gecko diet. Apparently the geckos do very well on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts