Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this Melanogaster culture 2 days ago and found this odd fungal structure. It is kind of like a spiderweb and appears to span the entire bottom 1.5 inches of the culture (from the media line). I assume the little black dots in the stringy mold stuff is FF poo. I am pretty sure they aren’t mites. I added vinegar when I made it, but I didn’t do super exact measurements when I made it, which may be the problem. Should I just throw out the culture, or is there an easy solution? How can I avoid this again?
Terrestrial plant Wood Window Glass Liquid

Wood Terrestrial plant Drink Glass Vegetable

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use vinegar in mine to prevent mold, even then I still get it sometimes. It is not the end of the world, the flies can still produce from what I can tell.

For me I never see mold after two days, but I would give it some time and see how it produces.

Are you waiting on this culture to produce to feed your current frogs? You could always make a new culture and see if you can prevent it from occurring again.

For me it takes about two weeks for my culture to start producing significantly. This depends on the lighting and temperature the culture is kept at as well as the amount of flies you add. Make sure the flies get light otherwise they won't produce as much.

Ricky

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little bit difficult to tell from the pics, but that might be a slime mold?
I thought so to, not sure how exactly to tell though, apart from basic looks.

I use vinegar in mine to prevent mold, even then I still get it sometimes. It is not the end of the world, the flies can still produce from what I can tell.

For me I never see mold after two days, but I would give it some time and see how it produces.

Are you waiting on this culture to produce to feed your current frogs? You could always make a new culture and see if you can prevent it from occurring again.

For me it takes about two weeks for my culture to start producing significantly. This depends on the lighting and temperature the culture is kept at as well as the amount of flies you add. Make sure the flies get light otherwise they won't produce as much.

Ricky
I’m glad to hear this isn’t too big of a deal. I don’t have frogs yet, but I plan on getting some soon. It is low 70s in my house and it is kept on a shelving unit next to a lot of windows (though only gets a little direct sunlight). It looks like the mold has expanded a little bit. I am going out of town for Thanksgiving so I guess I’ll just hope for the best.

Thanks for the quick replies :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts