Dendroboard banner

Obscure Ameerega species in the hobby?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Spaff 
#1 ·
I saw some pictures posted somewhere a while back of species such as A. bilinguis, cainarachi, macero that looked like they may have been taken under captive conditions. It got me wondering if they've ever been imported and if so, if they are around any more. If anyone has any insights into this I'd appreciate the information.

#4 ·
I don't know what this thing is...but I want it.

Here is the blurb on it...
"Ameerega sp. (cf. altamazonica) was lumped in with altamazonica, don't know its present status. This incredible frog is found in southern Colombia in Departmento Caqueta. Photo by Alexis Calderon Alvarez."
https://www.facebook.com/RanasFlecha
Nog nooit gezien - Gifkikkerportaal - Forum - Soorten - Overige genera

Understory has a couple listed that you don't see much of in the hobby...
Ameerega Altamazonica
Ameerega Altamazonica | Understory Enterprises

Ameerega Hahneli
Ameerega hahneli | Understory Enterprises

I thought there was talk years back of them bringing in Macero or cainarachi...I could have sworn they actually did bring in cainarchi...but I guess not?

Macero was one I always hoped would come in, along with more Silverstonei ofcourse.

Then there are Zaparo and Femoralis here, which I guess are technically Allobates, but look like some of the Ameerega.

#5 ·
macero and billinguis came in during the 90's in low numbers but I don't think they are around anymore. Eric Malolepsy has posted pictures about a couple odd Ameerega on here in the past but I don't remember what they were.

I would love to see cainarachi and rubriventris come in at some point. Another really awesome looking small Ameerega is parvula, but I've never heard much mention of them.

#7 ·
I believe all three were in the hobby in the 80's or 80's. I had the first one for a while; they came in as A. parvalus, but weren't. I was offered the second - as captive breed I believe. And I think the third was offered as wc but under another name - I don't think that name existed at the time. I don't believe any are available today - which is a big loss.

Best,

Chuck

#8 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Like has been stated, it is a shame these aren't around any more if they were here at one time. It would be nice for them to come in through something like UE, but even then, there probably wouldn't be enough people interested for them to be kept in any number.

Dave, that frog is nice! I have a pair of altamazonica and really like them. They have a nice call, but my only complaint is that they call at dawn and are very loud. I don't know of many people keeping them and ever fewer with hahneli. UE posted a picture of what they're calling copperback altamazonica on their fb page earlier this year. It's a very nice looking form...hopefully, they'll successfully produce some in the near future.

Thanks for the firsthand information, Chuck! It's always nice to hear from people who got to keep the "lost" species. Were you able to breed the ones you had?

#9 ·
How big are they? (altamazonica & hahneli)
Id imagine they are alot smaller than Pepperi?

Ameerega are my favorite species of all darts & I do plan on owning alot more in the future.

Btw I have verified that UE will be working with Cainarchi in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.