Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my 125 gallon viv build and I want to get more frogs for it. Currently I have two D. tinc cobalts around the age of 6 months and of unknown sex. I wanted to get more of them, but I do not want to deal with female aggression and obviously I wouldn't be getting other morphs of the same species. Let's say that I have a group of six. Would that just be asking for trouble? If it would be a bad idea to get more of them, what other frogs are good to keep with these?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Tincs seem to be tricky when you put them in groups. Some people have successfully bred them in trios or groups, but there can be aggression from both sexes, not just females. Females tend to be more aggressive, but I have had a male Green Sip that would be the crap out of anyone I put in the tank. I finally got a female that was much bigger than him and he didn't bother her. If you have plenty of visual barriers and space places for frogs to feel safer it might be okay. But personally I have not had experience with a tank that big. Maybe if you raise all the tincs together from froglets in that tank they will be okay when they get older. Hopefully more people chime in to give you advice. Good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate it. I need to get a few more plants, but I was thinking about the same thing. Almost like they are separated into 2 or 3 packs within the tank, due to the size and amount of hiding spots.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
The size of a male D. tinctorius territory in the wild would greatly exceed 120 gallons. If you want a group frog for a large vivarium, it would be better to move the tincs into a smaller viv and choose a species that is a better choice for a group set-up.

Take care, Richard.

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are some frogs that are good to keep in groups?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
D. tinctorius is an almost entirely terrestrial species.

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
253 Posts
yeah, that does look like half water. I wouldn't put any more than three tincs that tollerate eachother well in there and not even that if your frogs are as skinnny as they are in the pics. Nothing is worse that frog on frog stress to make a skinny frog into a dead frog in no time. feed and suppliment well. frequent small meals

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They haven't been like that very long. I have been having some troubles with my fruit fly cultures, so they haven't been getting as much food as I would like. It's been about an every two or three day, instead of once a day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With this in mind, I have no problem setting up another tank for them and them getting a different species for in there. I have a lot of supplies so that I can just make tanks whenever.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, that does look like half water. I wouldn't put any more than three tincs that tollerate eachother well in there and not even that if your frogs are as skinnny as they are in the pics. Nothing is worse that frog on frog stress to make a skinny frog into a dead frog in no time. feed and suppliment well. frequent small meals
I appreciate the concern, I have never actually used supplements for anything before. I just bought Reptivite and three cultures of D. Hydei today so no worries.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We've all had cultures crash at the worst times. If you have access to a wooded area, you might want to look for some termites to help fatten them up until your cultures start behaving. Termites should not be considered a main food source since they're very fattening. It's like feeding candy to a kid, and frogs LOVE termites.

There's a thread called 'simple termite trap' that might help -

That's a nice looking tank. If you're concerned about the amount of water, you can add pieces of driftwod and/or large rocks for the frogs to climb on, in case of a fall -

You definitely need to get some weight on those babies, tho-

·
Registered
253 Posts
I hunted for termites for some juvi terribilis and right behind my shed in a wood pile I found a good bunch. I just peeled back some bark and knock them off into a tupper ware bowl. It's good to have a mix of food too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will keep that in mind next time, are they able to be cultured?

I need more gravel for the water feature actually so that I can slope the land better, I only wanted to water to be about an inch deep.

·
Registered
508 Posts
No, you can't culture termites, but they do live long time. Just keep them in an airtight container with damp cardboard and they'll do just fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been feeing them each about 15-20 dusted Hydei a day in 3 to 4 feeding sessions since I have gotten the new cultures and I can already notice a bit of a difference. I will post a pic of them once they are nice and fat!

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Wild-collected foods (what we usually call field "sweepings") are frought with a lot of potential problems, the least of which is the potential introduction of pathogens to your vivariums (or termites to you house!)

Making cultures on a regular basis and always making more then you think you need is the best way to go.

You'll also find a lot of discussion about vitamins on this site. Many of us have moved over to preparations that contain active amounts of Vitamin A (such as are found in Repashy Calcium Plus), which is lacking in many other preparation.

Good luck, Richard.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The vitamins that I am using have calcium in it, so thats covered. As far as the termites go, I have no way of obtaining them and I was worried about the same things Woodsman had mentioned, so I will more than likely not be getting any.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts