Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The link below describes one of the best ideas I have heard to date to keep people from purchasing and then consuming rhino horn as an aphrodisiac. Poison the horn :eek: quick, simple and harmless to the animals. And if a few wanna be poaching financiers die in the process so much the better;)

Wildlife Extra News - How to stop rhino poaching - Poison rhino horns

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
It doesn't reduce the demand for it as knife handles..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Interesting article, I didn't have time to read the whole article. Did it state what kind of poison is used and how it is administered?

Jim G.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't reduce the demand for it as knife handles..
Unfortunately this is true. But the value of the horn as a decoration is a lot less than the value of the horn as an aphrodisiac. Perhaps less people would be willing to take the risk of poaching for a significantly smaller financial reward.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Unfortunately this is true. But the value of the horn as a decoration is a lot less than the value of the horn as an aphrodisiac. Perhaps less people would be willing to take the risk of poaching for a significantly smaller financial reward.

Yemen is actually one of the largest consumers for rhino horn.. see for example www.traffic.org/species-reports/traffic_species_mammals30.pdf

While I normally prefer to not use Wikipedia it has an page listing $1500 kg for horn to make into hilts. Which along with the cultural significance causes this to still be a large market (and they are not signatories to CITES) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambiya

1 - 7 of 7 Posts