Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had frogs in the past, Dends and Mantellas but am noticing something wierd in my vivarium "EARTHWORMS". they are very small about 1/2" long and are definate earthworms, I was just wondering if I should be concerned at all by thier presence. I've had tanks in the past and never saw a single worm. I am also seeing very small snails like bush snails as we would call them in the Orchid world, I just want to make sure my 4 Mantella Madagascarensis are not in any danger, eating them or causing any harm in general. Stupid question I know, but I really want to make sure they don't pose a threat, if they do I'll re-design the Vivarium and set in new soil on top of the falsse bottom. Any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What you mention are probably not earthworms, they might actually be nematodes, which come in with the substrate/plants. They are harmless to your frogs and will provide some extra food.

Luke

·
Registered
696 Posts
The worms you see, are they white and climbing the glass? If so they are probably grindle worms. Like Luke said they live in the soil and your frogs may eat them, but they cause no problems.

As far as the sanils go. They aren't a problem unless you plan on breeding. There have been stories of snails eating the eggs. So I'd pluck them out if you can. I doubt the frogs will eat them but never the less they are one of the few things you don't really want in your tank.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts