Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've frequently seen people mention on here that this is a tricky species to culture and that thriving populations will often crash and stop producing.
This is partially true but this species is capable of a neat trick when conditions become unfavourable that in colder climates is used to maintain their numbers over the winter - they produce resting diapause eggs!
The concept will be familiar to some fishkeepers who have cultured Daphnia species that also produce diapause eggs towards the end of summer which then lie dormant over winter before hatching in the spring.
Eggs in diapause are essentially in a state of suspended animation, until such time as conditions become more favourable, when they hatch in response to stimuli such as exposure to different colours of light or higher temperatures. Some species eggs can survive in a state of diapause and remain viable for decades.
Pogonognathellus (formerly Tomocerus) longicornis lays diapause eggs in Summer which then hatch the following spring following exposure to colder temperatures and a shorter photoperiod over winter.
My strong suspicion is that people are throwing out 'dead' cultures which may well contain hundreds, even thousands of eggs but have ceased traditional reproduction for any number of reasons and begun producing diapause eggs.
If this happens to you, don't throw your culture away! instead put it in the fridge for a few weeks to a few months and just forget about it, after sufficient time has passed bring it back into the warmth and expose it to a 12 hour photoperiod - I think in many cases the result will be a lot of springtails.
It could also be very useful if we were reliably able to trigger the production of diapause eggs in this species and this is something I plan to experiment with, I just wanted to post this here as it's something very few people seem to be aware of and I think these are a great feeder insect and useful in the vivarium. Hopefully this information is useful to someone.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I think this brings up an important point beyond just Springtail crashes.
All of our animals come from a seasonal existence, even tropical ones. It is easy to keep them in perpetual summer, since we try and do that to ourselves, but it's not optimal. I try and cool frogs yearly, and many others do as well. They can't diapause, but they can die (- a- paws?), earlier than they would've if given a bit of winter.
Thanks for a great tid bit o' knowledge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts