Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the frame is intended for making custom window screens. i got the kit that included the plastic corner pieces and the rubber spline:

Shop New York Wire 13-Screen Frame Kits at Lowes.com

as for the latches, i tried a magnetic cabinet latch on a 10 gal. vert and it didn't work as well as i had hoped. the door stays closed pretty securely with just the bottom latch, but for the sake of symmetry i'm going to put the top latch back on when i get a chance.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if you try this method again, and made the viv bigger i think that it will look REALLY good. let us know how fly proof it ends up being?

·
Registered
471 Posts
if you try this method again, and made the viv bigger i think that it will look REALLY good. let us know how fly proof it ends up being?
I think a bead of silicone and some wax paper would make it fly proof, love the use of the screen frame!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I like it! They will really utilize all the climbing space you provided. (I have had two gargs for over a year now).

Just a fair warning though, they are extremely rough on things (and each other, you may loose a tail or two). My GS/Silicone/Cocofiber background is getting pretty tore up already and im starting to see yellow GS in raised areas that get a lot of wear and tear from their claws. Also, you have to secure things like tillandsias and broms really well or they will trample/rip them down.

I dont know if you have had them before, but i really enjoy mine. Even though they are nocturnal they tend to hide in plain sight and even tend to be quite active during the day. To really see their behavior while you yourself are still awake is to have a dusk/dawn/starlight setting.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Excellent design for a Gargoyle, but you might want to move the Neoregelia that's in the soil up on the background somewhere to keep it from rotting. :) The gecko is going to be very content in that viv.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent design for a Gargoyle, but you might want to move the Neoregelia that's in the soil up on the background somewhere to keep it from rotting. :) The gecko is going to be very content in that viv.
thanks for the advice. all the plants except the sansiveria actually came from your site and everything has managed to survive so far other than a creeping fig clipping that i didn't re-hydrate enough. the neoregelia in the soil has even flowered a few times.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like it! They will really utilize all the climbing space you provided. (I have had two gargs for over a year now).

Just a fair warning though, they are extremely rough on things (and each other, you may loose a tail or two). My GS/Silicone/Cocofiber background is getting pretty tore up already and im starting to see yellow GS in raised areas that get a lot of wear and tear from their claws. Also, you have to secure things like tillandsias and broms really well or they will trample/rip them down.

I dont know if you have had them before, but i really enjoy mine. Even though they are nocturnal they tend to hide in plain sight and even tend to be quite active during the day. To really see their behavior while you yourself are still awake is to have a dusk/dawn/starlight setting.
i haven't had any before, just a leopard gecko, but i'm looking forward to hopefully getting one this weekend and having some time until it grows enough to move into this enclosure. the tillandsia is up pretty close to the top, but it's just held with a toothpick right now so i'll need a better method for securing it. the neregelia on the background actually sits in a small natural "bowl" so hopefully it gets rooted in there pretty well.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
the frame is intended for making custom window screens. i got the kit that included the plastic corner pieces and the rubber spline:

Shop New York Wire 13-Screen Frame Kits at Lowes.com

as for the latches, i tried a magnetic cabinet latch on a 10 gal. vert and it didn't work as well as i had hoped. the door stays closed pretty securely with just the bottom latch, but for the sake of symmetry i'm going to put the top latch back on when i get a chance.
I wish they made black screen kits :rolleyes:
I'm stuck with spray painting for now.

btw that Flukers hygro/therm isn't very accurate from what I hear.
The one's with the probes work the best and are more accurate.

Viv looks good tho.
I miss my golden gecko :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have a temp gun i use for my leopard gecko, so i mainly just need the hygrometer to be somewhat accurate.

i took the pup off the brom that was on the ground and "drilled" a hole with a toothpick to mount it so the roots will be in the diagonal cork bark "branch"

i also mounted the second brom to the background near the bottom and put some moss along the bottom of the background, although i doubt it will actually start to grow.

any suggestions for a plant or plants i can put in the substrate on the right side (where the brom was planted in the pictures) that won't get too tall or that will climb the background?

the gargoyle i got today to eventually go in this tank is pretty small. it will be staying in a kritter keeper for a few months, which will give the tank a chance to grow in. i'm probably going to transfer the bottom brom into the 40 gallon breeder tank i'll be converting into a front-opening enclosure for azureus. many other home-improvement projects to complete before i get to work on that tank, though.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
i have a temp gun i use for my leopard gecko, so i mainly just need the hygrometer to be somewhat accurate.

i took the pup off the brom that was on the ground and "drilled" a hole with a toothpick to mount it so the roots will be in the diagonal cork bark "branch"

i also mounted the second brom to the background near the bottom and put some moss along the bottom of the background, although i doubt it will actually start to grow.

any suggestions for a plant or plants i can put in the substrate on the right side (where the brom was planted in the pictures) that won't get too tall or that will climb the background?

the gargoyle i got today to eventually go in this tank is pretty small. it will be staying in a kritter keeper for a few months, which will give the tank a chance to grow in. i'm probably going to transfer the bottom brom into the 40 gallon breeder tank i'll be converting into a front-opening enclosure for azureus. many other home-improvement projects to complete before i get to work on that tank, though.
I hope that critter keeper is a huge one at least close the the 1/2 size of a 10g ;)
A few months in a Kritter keep sounds rough tbh.
Maybe a sterilite bin with a hole cut in the top and screen siliconed or hot glued to it and thow some things in there for him to climb around on?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope that critter keeper is a huge one at least close the the 1/2 size of a 10g ;)
A few months in a Kritter keep sounds rough tbh.
Maybe a sterilite bin with a hole cut in the top and screen siliconed or hot glued to it and thow some things in there for him to climb around on?
it's the large size KK. the breeder said she keeps the hatchlings and juveniles in 6qt sterilite tubs until they're big enough to go into adult enclosures. the one i got was hatched in august, so it's only a little over 4 months old.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been away from the board for a while so I figured I might as well update this thread for the 3 people who will eventually check it out...

The gecko has been in a 12x12 zoo med terrarium ($15 used) and is growing nicely on Crested Gecko MRP. She... I think it's a she... got a little bit of homemade pear babyfood since we had too much after making up a batch for mini-me.

I had issues with the adhesives on the hinges coming undone, tried an epoxy and then SteelStik before buying a rivet tool this week. I wish I had just gone that route initially because it was much easier and less messy. I pre-drilled the screen frame for the rivets, now I just need to fill in the holes with some silicone and attach a new handle on the door.

As soon as the rivet holes are sealed up and my order from NEHerp arrives I'll be moving her(?) into the more spacious accommodations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts