Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summersi time! I'm using another one of those cracked, 40 gallon Euro vivs I repaired for this. I'm going back to clay for this one and it might remain hand misted because Summersi like it a little drier. It's still been drilled for a mister and what I might do is put an inline valve on this one so I can take it out of the misting loop easily. What I'm picturing for this one is a washed out, old bank of a stream bed, all dried up now. The (old) water flow has washed away much of the dirt, leaving a bunch of exposed roots. The idea came from Tuckinrim8's viv http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/75267-54gal-bowfront-build.html I'm not a great stuff artist though and my rough interpretation should be very different in the end. I'm better with natural materials.
I am going to skip a lot of the details that were already covered in my other threads. You can get all the details for things like drains, fans, repair of the crack, clay recipe, and all that stuff in this build. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/76581-pumilos-75-corner-viv.html If you still don't see it, questions are always welcome.
Lets start with a shot of the drain and a back piece of eggcrate siliconed to the back of the viv. It will be a support for more eggcrate.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More eggcrate as a partial false bottom, loosly linked with tie wraps to 2 other pieces. This forms the eroded bank and the top of the bank. I'll need to make the bank easy enough to climb that my Summersi can feel comfortable using both upper and lower levels of ground as they are more of a terrestrial thumbnail.
This assembly was a tight fit so I'll have to do my screen a little different this time. I usually wrap the whole thing like a present but that's not going to fly this time. We'll come back to that tomorrow.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And here is a little peek at what I'm trying for. I'm using some select pieces of ghost wood for the root work and some cork bark extending from it to be some dead tree trunks.
The vision here is that the trees have died and the bark is rotted away and washed off by the water. We will be taking scraps of cork bark and attaching them to the ghost wood to look like pieces that are still holding on.
I think that's about as far as we are getting tonight, friends!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,656 Posts
The last ones were sweet will keep an eye on this one as well....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Wow Doug, this is gonna be awesome! Subscribed for sure... Why you gotta put my build to shame! haha I am loving the placement of your wood pieces as it looks just like the effect you are going for..

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow Doug, this is gonna be awesome! Subscribed for sure... Why you gotta put my build to shame! haha I am loving the placement of your wood pieces as it looks just like the effect you are going for..

Chris
Thanks everyone! Chris, nothings going to put yours to shame. I'll NEVER be able to do what you do with Great Stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
Hi Doug,

If you haven't figured out how you are going to finish your false bottom, may I make a suggestion. Lay your screen flat and then use rolled Sodium Bentonite like plumbers putty to seal the screen to the side of the tank. I has worked pretty well for me so far and it doesn't look bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Doug,

If you haven't figured out how you are going to finish your false bottom, may I make a suggestion. Lay your screen flat and then use rolled Sodium Bentonite like plumbers putty to seal the screen to the side of the tank. I has worked pretty well for me so far and it doesn't look bad.
Thanks Phender, I was going to do either that, or silicone it in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here are some of the cork bark and ghost wood assemblies.
For most of the ghost wood / cork bark combos, I glued them together with Gorilla glue. I filled in the hollow cork bark with great stuff to keep the froggies from spending all their time inside.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I attached the screen as a single layer, on top of the eggcrate using nylon tie wraps. I opted to go with a bead of silicone around the edges to keep the Turface from leaking down into the bottom. The Turface has been placed into the bottom area, but not in the top yet.
Next, the root work was attached in. I used GE silicone 1 to attach the cork bark ends to the glass. You can see where I built up a small ledge on top of the bank to help hold back the upper layers of substrate and leaf litter.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sliced the back off of a piece of cork bark tube to give it a flat mounting surface and added it to the upper, back wall as a tree. I've combined it with a little bit of ghost wood to give it some dead branches.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Progressing nicely. I've been increasing the thickness and adding some contours, trying to follow the root structure with the contours. You can see over on the left where I've taken some of the scraps that were removed frog the back side of the ghost wood branches, and added them back into the clay wall. It's getting difficult to get my hands back in between the branches, but I figured that the contours were going to look better if I did the mudding after the roots were installed.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Top