Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been away from the board for a week or so because I've been in the process of a big move. I got all my frogs moved in just fine. (not my first frog move) Then, this morning I found my nicest female "no dot" citronella laying dead in her usual shedding spot with a lonely male roaming the tank. Her eating habbits were normal, she resumed eating as soon as I fed her when she was moved in. I moved all frogs in their tanks to minimize stress. I've had this happy pair for over 3 years. I raised them from froglets. The only thing I can truly think of is maybe she became egg bound from holding eggs.

I cut back on feeding and misting a little before the move to "season" them out of breeding. She laid clutches of at least 9-11 eggs at a time when she was breeding! Then when they got settled in I resumed feeding heavily and misting twice a day. They have been housed in the same 55 gallon viv since they were juveniles. This was a great loss, as she was one of my favorites! So needless to say I will be posting in the wanted section for a female citronella momentarily.:(

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Feel for ya. I just lost my 3 year old cit 2 days ago. I introduced her with a male into a new tank a few weeks ago, some courting but no eggs. Then I wake up one morning to find her upside down in the water (only1/4" deep).:(

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have only been in the PDF hobby for a year so I'm still learning things, but would it be a good idea to get a fecal done to make sure there were no parasites in the tank?
IMO, it's always a good idea when frog loss occurs.

Some baddies won't manifest above/below a particular temperature threshold, but the frog will deteriorate rapidly when that threshold is passed. For example, some frogs will carry chytrid without symptoms at higher temps.... but when the temperature drops below a certain level, it can kill them pretty quickly. Exposing the animal to stress & different parameters doing the move seems like it could easily be the green light for some infection etc to take over.

Maybe someone with more knowledge would care to elaborate, that's all I really know... but that seems like reason enough to me to warrant a fecal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts