Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is going to be a 2009 NAAC and where might it be?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
They haven't yet solidified anything...but I believe a decision (one way or the other) is going to be made soon.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The one problem is that everything's so expensive. Also, I can't go on the field trips on Friday because I have school. How many items are in the auction?

100th post, by the way!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Honestly i went to the one in Mass. Things weren ot that expensive. I saw some really good deals. The only expensive part was the 4 hour drive (gas). The auction was good. Had a bunch of stuff like tanks and viv supplies.

the lights went out so i missed alot of the talks and such since i was not to happy about bumping around in the dark

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yeah, I guess that's too small a number to sort our a trend. What was the layout of the conference? I envision your typical herp style show with some speakers and such?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
There were talks throughout the day, with lectures later on at night. The sale ran the middle of the day and a few concervation groups also had tables which was nice to see. There was an auction at 3 I beleive and the following day there was an open house thing at Black Jungle, which was a major bonus.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Emily described Saturday (which was the primary show) and the BBQ/sale at Black Jungle on Sunday,but the whole thing kicked of on Friday with a few various herp-related field trips and a keynote speaker/banquet that night. So it's a bit larger and more involved than your average frog show.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It depends. If you do it all its a big thing. Like they said...Dinner...show...black jungle bbq.

I personally only went to the show so i was almost.....disappointed.... I was expecting somthing along the lines of the reptile shows that i go to but full of frogs. It is that in a sense but smaller. If you REALLY took your time and looked at every table you could be done in a half hour.

However that is if you are only looking at vendors. It needs to be taken as a larger experiance. There are a bunch of speakers and things like that so if you go and try to "do it all" its not bad at all.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
It depends. If you do it all its a big thing. Like they said...Dinner...show...black jungle bbq.

I personally only went to the show so i was almost.....disappointed.... I was expecting somthing along the lines of the reptile shows that i go to but full of frogs. It is that in a sense but smaller. If you REALLY took your time and looked at every table you could be done in a half hour.

However that is if you are only looking at vendors. It needs to be taken as a larger experiance. There are a bunch of speakers and things like that so if you go and try to "do it all" its not bad at all.
Really? I had a completely different experience. You have to note that at these reptile shows there may be 10x more vendors, but a lot of them are selling wc animals or sick animals. Having all cb animals that are only sold by reputable breeders just decreases the time you spend picking through all the bad vendors for the decent ones. I have gone to many of the larger reptile shows and I was honestly disgusted with a lot of them, I found NAAC really refreshing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Really? I had a completely different experience. You have to note that at these reptile shows there may be 10x more vendors, but a lot of them are selling wc animals or sick animals. Having all cb animals that are only sold by reputable breeders just decreases the time you spend picking through all the bad vendors for the decent ones. I have gone to many of the larger reptile shows and I was honestly disgusted with a lot of them, I found NAAC really refreshing.

I found nothing wrong with the vendors or what they had. Actually at this show i saw alot of frogs i never see at regular reptile shows. I was just expecting more vendors then were there. Thats why i was a little dissappointed

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I found nothing wrong with the vendors or what they had. Actually at this show i saw alot of frogs i never see at regular reptile shows. I was just expecting more vendors then were there. Thats why i was a little dissappointed
Quality over quantity :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
NAAC was the biggest amphibian show I have been to. Most of the other shows across the country have between 10-25 vendors. I believe there were 38 at NAAC. So, that was a pretty big show for the frog world. I thought it was a great show regarding the things that were able to be controlled. Now the power outage, that was pretty crappy but uncontrollable and the power was restored fairly quickly. I am really hoping this show travels like some of the others do.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would go again depending on location. hopfully they do it in NY or somthing like that. I'm from Jersey and the long ride was a little much for me

1 - 20 of 34 Posts