Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have four juvi's in a shoebox that I recently got at IAD. Everytime I open the lid and check on them or offer ff's they begin wiping their hands and feet on their body. I assume I am startling them and they are showing anti-predation behavior, or am I wrong? They dont seem to do this any other time, but the majority of the time I am looking with the lid off. Any one else experience this?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are moist long fiber sphagnum moss. It is the same response as if a fly would crawl on them but there arent.

G

·
0 Posts
ya know i kind of like to clean up before i eat to better enjoy the meal, maybe they are just preening =)

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
possibility...

I have never experiencied this with any of my terribilis. It sounds as if something is irritating them.

I would move them to a clear, critter keeper or something where you can observe them without removing the lid. Then you will be able to tell if this is a nervous reaction to taking the lid off, if there is an irritant or if they are just a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to their appearance :lol: .

Keep us up to date - in the very least I would clean their container out with a very mild soad and water and replace it.

Melis

G

·
0 Posts
Mite infestation can also cause this type of behavior, but mite infestations are fairly rare in captive bred animals.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today before I added ff's I watched them for 10-15 minutes. They sat there still with their throat patches moving, but no rubbing. I opened the lid and about 20 seconds later the first started rubbing its eyes, then the next almost like communication to the others. This isnt a constant spasm but kind of a rub a pause then rub, rub pause. When I put ff's in there they stopped and began chowin' down. I dont know whats up, but I'll change their bedding today and wash out the shoebox.

G

·
0 Posts
Scott said:
They're allergic to you.

s :wink:
LOL.... that is what I was thinking...
But seriosusly, do you wear a cologne, perfume, or are you spraying anything that might be in the air?
Or are their tanks in a drafty location? Dust on the lids?
I know you have most likely looked at these things, but still have to ask.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been warm so the windows in the frog room are open to cool it down. I thought it might have been vitamin powder but they rub before I even put ff's in. I guess mold spores could be an option? RIght now I have all the lids open to my other frogs and they are acting normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts