Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 10 gallon tank with 2 pretty big Green and Black Auratus in it.i just bought a Leuc this past friday.he was really active fridayand saturday...but i noticed that sunday he was in the back left of the tank up on the glass.i thought it was normal but he was there ALL day.and he was also in the same spot most of today.i have read that they are mostly ground dwellers so thats why im kinda questioning this behavior.i have not seen any agression from the others frogs towards it..the ONLY thing i can think that it might be is i just wrapped my screen lid in seran wrap(i had a towel over it before) and im thinking that he might be trying to get closer to the top for air...but i poked a ton of holes in the seran wrap with an ear ring.the tank has some condensation on it...so i kinda think there might not be sufficient ventilation...but i have no idea..maybe im just being paranoid,but i just thought it was weird it was spending a lot of time up on the glass.please tell me if im just worrying about nothing or there is something up with my frog.thanks

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Mixing species is generally frowned upon.
Do a search, and you'll find many discussions on the matter.
From what I know of leucs, they like to climb a lot.
I would set up a separate tank for the leuc.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Also, condensation is a good thing... it means your humidity is sufficient. Many of us have no ventilation on our tanks, except when we open them daily to feed and/or mist the frogs. I usually blow into the tank for a bit. It moves some air around, plus it lets me see how many fruit flies (if any) are left from the last feeding... as a little air movement will make all the stationary/hidden flies start scrambling.

I agree it would be best to keep your leucomelas and your auratus separately. As adults these two species could hybridize. Are there any other climbing objects in the tank (plants, wood, rock, coconut huts, etc)? Leucs like to perch on higher objects in my experience.

So long as the frog is eating and looks plump, I wouldn't worry about the glass climbing.

Josh

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am not an expert, but I have leucs and I have done my research, so I may be qualified to some extent to answer this question.

1) Although mixing speicies is frowned upon, there may be a more practical issue here for splitting them up immediately. If there is any kind of a size difference (or any other kind of weird behavioral thing) your leuc may be intimidated and may be spending all day high in the tank to esacape the auratus. This is just a possiblity, like I said, I'm not an expert.

2) My leucs climb a lot, and I have heard from this forum and elsewhere that of the ground dwellers, leucs climb the most. It was recommended to me that I eventually put them in a 15 high or a 20 high vivarium.

3) As the others have been saying, condensation on the glass is very good. From the research I have done, humidity is much more important than ventilation. In fact, just the lifting of half the top for feeding, misting and water changes once a day is enough air flow for these guys. Therefore, I keep an all glass top and keep the tank misted well enough for plenty of condensation to form and leucs seem to be doing very well.

I hope this helped without offending.

Amanda

Btw, How do you have your current top saran wrapped? Is it tightly wrapped with the edges meeting on top? I had to do that for a while and I was more comfortable with doing that once I mastered getting the top tightly saran wrapped as dumb as that sounds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well,my Leuc is deff smaller than my auratus' but he is pretty plump.he does eat when i feed.and only the very front of my tank has the condensation,thats how hes able to climb.
acleverusername,i just took off my mesh lid and wraped the seran all the way to the bottom and used a lot of scotch tape.it works out pretty good and doesnt look too bad,but i am most likely going to buy a glass top very soon.i havent seen any agression or anything so i dont really think hes intimidated.in fact,when i woke up this morn,he was on the ground real close to one auratus...i appreciate the replies everyone.sometimes i just get nervous when i see things like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts