Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, im kinda new, I lurked here a few years back and never had the funds to get things going. Im in a better place now. a lil backround on me, ive been into reptiles as long as I can remember. I have taken on and did great with fish, saltwater and planted. I guess you can say I have a good drive to learn before I do! Anyway enough bout me, I would like some recomendations on a beginner species that will use the whole tank, I would like to come in and see my frogs climbing around and hiding in the upper parts of the tank and also utilize the bottom. Is there a species like this? Im not afraid of tougher species, but I would like to start with an easy to mid difficulty species, thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know this is somewhat of a "standard" response to these sort of questions.
But i really do recommend D. Leucomelas.

They are hardy, and as such a great specie for a beginner since they are quite forgiving of the mistakes you will make.

But mostly because they are very beautiful and interesting to watch, they absolutely utilize the entire area of the vivarium, both high and low.
Mine are all over the viv, and i often see them performing all sorts of acrobatics.
They are not shy, and you will see them out and about a lot.

On top of that, they have a really pleasant call in my opinion - not loud enough to be an annoyance (except perhaps in a bedroom). But rather like a pleasant birdlike chirp that gives your room a great jungle vibe ;)

It is not at all a boring beginner-only frog, and dont be surprised if at the end of the day, Leucomelas ends up being your favourite specie in an otherwise large collection of frogs :)

I can understand why Leucomelas is so often recommended to beginners as their first frog, i am glad that i had them recommended to me when i began in the hobby, and i will also recommend them to you for the above reasons.

Regards,
Bjorn

·
Registered
391 Posts
they are very fun to watch. especially when they hunt :)
I have 5 of them lol

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
How big of a Viv are you planning?
Leucs are great but there are others that utilize the whole space of a viv and are good first frogs.

-Beth

·
Registered
532 Posts
Auratus, tincs, anthonyi, azureus. Theres a lot of them. Before you even decide which frogs you should get, get familiar with culturing FF's and springtails. If you want to get a tank with some height and floor space, go with a 29, 20 high, or a 18x18x18 exo-terra/zoo-med. Welcome to the hobby! Its addicting :D

Alex

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with the leuc comment, they hang all over my plants and my tank wall. I do like the azureus though. They are all over my tank also, but they are not good in groups, so depending on your tank, you may not have a full space. Good luck, and do not forget to ask questions. Johnny

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as of right now i have no tank or anything, plan on maybe a 29 or 20h though, plan on having a small water feature with some water to the front. i really want to get the tank established and get ff going first. when is it good to start ff cultures in relation to when i get frogs? dont want to little and dont want to many either.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I would start ffs at least a couple months before frogs. That way you can observe how they boom, bust, mold, everything dies for no reason, and have it figured out by the time you get frogs.

If you are going to do a water feature, the, I recommend at least 29g. That's just me though. Some may do it in smaller tanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd start a long time before because it takes a while for the cultures to get going and you want to get into a routine when you are culturing FF's. Depends on how many frogs you have but I have 9 and I try to make 2-3 cultures every other week. This gives me room if I get crashes.

I would ditch the water feature if I was you. The only one I have is a small corner pond and this is for tadpole depositing. Water features are a hassle and most of time they break or fail. You can create a pond by using egg crate. I used this video as a how-to on making my tank. jgrimmier's Channel - YouTube Its a very helpful video made by a guy on this forum! Grimm ;) haha

If you can get the 29 gallon, get it. It gives the frogs more room and its easier to work with.

-Alex

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, so i kinda like the idea of parents taking care of the tadpoles, and ill x the water feature

1 - 10 of 10 Posts