Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. My name's Justin and I've been looking through a few dozen construction journals of the awesome vivs on here for the past few weeks. I have a few crested geckos and would love to use some of the methods I've seen on here to make them an awesome background and water feature. I know crested geckos and dart frogs live in different environments, so I will not be making a viv exactly like you all do for your frogs. I have been inspired by Grimm and Raf and their amazing backgrounds, and would like to use the techniques they use to make fake vines, rocks, and roots as well as a waterfall. I have put together a short list of items I think would work well for this project, with links to a full description. Could you look through my list and let me know if everything sounds alright? Some things may serve the same purpose, and thus may not be needed. I'm most confused with the correct types of sealants to use for cement, grout, and the like. I think I will use an 18x18x24 Zoo Med terrarium, so I was also wondering if the amounts shown in the list sound right. Thank you!

Pro Seal 3 oz. clear RTV silicon adhesive and sealant (not a 12 pack)
Pro Seal 3 oz. Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive & Sealant (12-Pack) - 80066 at The Home Depot

PC-11 Paste Epoxy .5 lb.
PC Products PC-11 Paste Epoxy 1/2 lb. - 080115 at The Home Depot

XPS Foam Board

Red Devil Pro Clear 10.1 oz. siliconized acrylic adhesive sealant
Red Devil Pro Clear 10.1 oz. Siliconized Acrylic Adhesive Sealant - 0866HD at The Home Depot

Sikalatex 1 gal. concrete bonding adhesive and acrylic fortifier
SikaLatex 1-Gallon Concrete Bonding Adhesive and Acrylic Fortifier - 187782 at The Home Depot

Klean-Strip 1 qt. pure gum spirits turpentine
Klean-Strip 1 qt. Pure Gum Spirits Turpentine - QGT69 at The Home Depot

Drylok 1 gal. white masonry waterproofer
DRYLOK 1-Gal. White Masonry Waterproofer - 27513 at The Home Depot

Quikrete cement color
Search Results for cement color

acrylic paint

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there, Looks like you have about three types of sealant, i imagine these are to seal some kind of water area? unless your painting the cement it's waterproof, just make sure you allow accurate curing..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. I don't really know which sealants I actually need. I would like to carve the foam board and make fake rocks, so I think I would like to use grout for that. I would then use acrylic paints for the rocks. So would the Red Devil acrylic sealant I have listed be ok for sealing the paint? I have both the PC-11 epoxy paste and the drylok listed because I don't know which would be better to seal the grout. I think I would rather use the drylok over the grout, and then paint over the drylok, and finally seal it with the red devil acrylic sealant. So maybe I won't use the epoxy paste for the rocks at all. Could I also use the red devil acrylic sealant to make the fake fines as shown in Raf's and Grimm's threads?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Right. I don't really know which sealants I actually need. I would like to carve the foam board and make fake rocks, so I think I would like to use grout for that. I would then use acrylic paints for the rocks. So would the Red Devil acrylic sealant I have listed be ok for sealing the paint? I have both the PC-11 epoxy paste and the drylok listed because I don't know which would be better to seal the grout. I think I would rather use the drylok over the grout, and then paint over the drylok, and finally seal it with the red devil acrylic sealant. So maybe I won't use the epoxy paste for the rocks at all. Could I also use the red devil acrylic sealant to make the fake fines as shown in Raf's and Grimm's threads?

Acrylic paint seals itself, unless you really want to take the easy route, if you apply the paint in layers it should be fine, if it's in water you may want to seal it as well.... any silicone or epoxy will work, just allow accurate curing time, and you may want to use concrete instead of grout, easier to find and less pricey in my opinion, Enjoy your cresteds.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
the OP is talking about an 18x18x24 - not so big! I suppose it depends on how much time you have to cure. Issue wtih an exo terra is you can't even SOAK the concrete. You just gotta spray and spray and spray.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the idea of using pottery plaster/ plaster of paris mixed with sand instead of grout. The extremely long curing period seems like a hassle. As long as I was to let the plaster set and then sealed it, there's no need for the curing period right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We come here to learn how to make the awesome vivs that can be found on here. And I'm sure the more time I spend on this forum, the more I will want to set up my own dart frog set up.

·
Registered
995 Posts
you dont need to cure concrete if you are going to seal it...

And i dont see why its so bad to have gecko people on here...there are tons of dart people on spider forums, and other non-frog forums... it helps us learn...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there a point to sealing the cement, painting, and then sealing the paint? Could I just let the cement set, paint it, and then seal it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just use non sanded grout from home depot.There are variety of colors. it looks like natural rock when finished and doesnt take a long time to cure

1 - 17 of 17 Posts