Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I set up a vivarium recently and have given alot of thought as to what I would like to put in it. I am wondering if the setup would be appropriate for dart frogs but I have some questions first, for the safety and care of he animals.

There is a waterfall in the viv. It runs on a maxijet 900 (I believe it is a 900 at least) and probably circulates about 100gph after head loss. I read somewhere that dart frogs like a more quiet environment, so the question is, is the waterfall bad for the frogs? Maybe some sensory overload? I have seen setups with waterfalls before, but I am circulating much more than average.

I ordered a piece of cut glass for the top of the aquarium. It is a 25 gallon that has been derimmed and the glass fits very securely. It is not airtight but the only real hole is about a 1 x 1 inch notch where the cords come out the top. Do I need to provide more ventilation/fresh air for dart frog? If so, how to you keep the humidity up in your setups with a screen-top setup?

I keep my apartment at around 62 degrees here in the winter. There is a heater in the water section of my viv which might provide an additional but of radiant heat + there is a nominal amount of heat provided by the fixture (65W cfl) but the average temp in the tank is probably only about 65 degrees. I know it is recommended that the temp be higher for dart frogs but will they tolerate temps in that range?

I am thinking of getting a few azures (sp?). Is there a better, still attractive, species for beginners? Or maybe a species that tolerates a wider temp range?

thats all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I read somewhere that dart frogs like a more quiet environment, so the question is, is the waterfall bad for the frogs?
Not at all. Haven't heard about them preferring quietness myself. They are from the rainforest where its always quite noisy. Not sure how loud that specific pump is, but i wouldn't worry about it.

Do I need to provide more ventilation/fresh air for dart frog?
Nope, you opening the tank to feed or spray the tank down once an a while is enough fresh air. In fact you're going to want to close off that 1x1 space, your frogs even the bigger species could probably squeeze through that. At the very least its a big opening for flies to escape the tank which no one wants.

I know it is recommended that the temp be higher for dart frogs but will they tolerate temps in that range?
That a little cold. Once the tank is completely sealed off and the humidity is high, it should get up into the 70s I would expect. I doubt you will need a water heater either.

I am thinking of getting a few azures (sp?). Is there a better, still attractive, species for beginners? Or maybe a species that tolerates a wider temp range?
Azureus would be great first frog. Depends on the dimensions of your tank. Leucs are a great starter frog too, especially if your tank has extra height. If its a longer tank with more ground space, most tincs would be good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
N
That a little cold. Once the tank is completely sealed off and the humidity is high, it should get up into the 70s I would expect. I doubt you will need a water heater either.
The tank I built is a 25 gallon and the water was extremely cold before I added a heater. Here is a pick, only it has alot more plants in it now...

There is a good volume of water in there, I believe it is in the 2.5-3 gallon range. I was thinking about putting some livebearers in the water section (hence the need for a heater). Would dart frogs go after small fish?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Darts most likely wouldn't go after any fish... However, if I were you, I would reduce the size of the pond. It takes up valuable floor space which the frogs would appreciate more than the pond (which is for you :)). A nice marshy area would be of more use to the frogs.

That being said...the tank looks nice! Good luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Darts most likely wouldn't go after any fish... However, if I were you, I would reduce the size of the pond. It takes up valuable floor space which the frogs would appreciate more than the pond (which is for you :)). A nice marshy area would be of more use to the frogs.

That being said...the tank looks nice! Good luck!
I highly agree. The tank looks visually nice; however frogs need a lot of ground space especially ground dwellers like Leucs, Tincs, Azureus, etc. Check out members vivariums for ideas on utilizing ground space, ledges and anything making more space for them to hide/walk

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Afraid I'm going to have to agree that it does not look well suited to dart frogs. Way too much water and not much floor space.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know this is mostly a dart frog forum, but... Since its a bit cold for darts, and you have a sizable pond, have you thought about a newt or salamander? Generally, they live in the cool temps that you've listed and many species are semi-aquatic so they'd utilize the water area. The really spectacular species aren't quite as easily obtained as darts, but there are some beautiful ones to be had - Neurergus Kaiseri

Awesome tank by the way! The gravel looks great. :)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Afraid I'm going to have to agree that it does not look well suited to dart frogs. Way too much water and not much floor space.

Let me just add that you do have some neat features there. I think that when you decide to do a build specifically geared towards dart frogs, you have the artistic touch to do a great job! The one thing I would watch next time (besides way less water in favor of more land) would be the ledges on the back wall. The look too uniform. Make them bumpier, more uneven, for a more natural effect.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I must also concur with the majority. If you'd like to house Azureus in there or any other Dart for that matter you need to lower the water level. Replace that water with leaf litter and you are set and ready for some darts. As for that 1x1 inch gap...Frogs can escape and will dry up and die only after a short time. You would also be subject to numerous Fruit Fly escapes. I'd close that gap completely or settle for newts or fish in that tank.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
379 Posts
I must also concur with the majority. If you'd like to house Azureus in there or any other Dart for that matter you need to lower the water level. Replace that water with leaf litter and you are set and ready for some darts. As for that 1x1 inch gap...Frogs can escape and will dry up and die only after a short time. You would also be subject to numerous Fruit Fly escapes. I'd close that gap completely or settle for newts or fish in that tank.

Thanks,
Chris
EDIT* You'd be set and ready for some darts once you close that gap, scrap that water area, and get some FF cultures going.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well... This setup was originally created to house a couple fish in the foreground and some terrestial plants in the back planters. It works great for that but it sounds like it isn't gonna be any good for dart frogs.

Whats the best option, Scrap it and build from the ground up? Or can it be modified? If I Fill in the left side of the water feature with larger rock and add some more driftwood would it be usefull?

I can devise something to cover the cord slot. I don't imagine that being a real issue.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Keep it as it is, put fish in it, and enjoy it IMO. It looks really nice and it would be a waste to have to break it down and lose it. Get another tank somewhere and build a seperate one for darts.

This is assuming that you have enough room for two tanks though...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agreed with Peanut. Keep this tank cause it definitely looks like you spent a good amount of time on it! (I'm still thinkin' it would be awesome for a salamander)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Agreed with Peanut. Keep this tank cause it definitely looks like you spent a good amount of time on it! (I'm still thinkin' it would be awesome for a salamander)
I second this statement. You should get a salamander or newt to go in here! I've been looking to acquire some newts in the near future so maybe that has me leaning towards those haha. I really like your design and it would suck to scrap the entire tank. My advice would be to start a new tank specifically set up for darts. Look through other members vivs to get ideas.

-Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had some issues with the water feature and decided to get rid of it. I filled it in and it added alot of open area. I'm thinking the setup I have now might be more conducive to keeping frogs. What do u think?

I know that alot of these plant species are not typically seen in a viv and I hope to replace them over time.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
OK, now you are much better suited for dart frogs. One thing you won't want to hear. All that pretty moss...great for you to look at, but what your frogs want is way less moss and lots and lots of leaf litter. I use an average of 2 inches of leaf litter. It does several things for you. It provides cover for your frogs. When cover is everywhere, they will feel much bolder about being out in the open because they know that safety is only a hop away. It provides hunting grounds for your frogs. It provides breeding grounds and hiding places for microfauna (bugs like springtails and isopods). It is what is found in there natural environment. Some people don't like the look but the benefits are so big that if you try it, you'll never go back to moss.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.