Dendroboard banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Born in the USA but only 3rd generation. Family is full Scandinavian(Sweden+Norway+Denmark)

Photo in avatar is P. pasteuri and is one of my babies!

Hi Steve,

thanks, that was the answer I was hoping for! :)
As this means I do see different frogs, if only just one at a time. I'm seeing them more and more now - espacially the biggest one with the bronzed legs (I think ;)).

@ daggekko (are you dutch originally?):

thanks a lot! :)

BTW: which Phelsuma is that on your avatar-picture? Perhaps v-n. pasteuri or possiblyrobertmertensi - one of yours??

regards,
Claudia

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi!

P. pasteuri would have been my first choice! Only back then I couldn't get hold of one of them, so I got my little P. robertmertensi instaed. I love her to bits and wouldn't trade her in for anything in the world of course! But still: P.pasteuri are beautiful creatures and are definitely still a possible addition for later on...:)

Well - Scandinavian of course also explains your nickname - didn't think of that. Would have been the same in Dutch (which mine is by the way), hence the question...:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pasteuri/guimbeaui are my favorite species. Absolutely love them! What does your user name mean? Unfortunately I didn't get raised to speak/understand language or cultural aspects. I do want to learn the language though!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi,

"kikkertje" is the diminutive form of the word "kikker" which means "frog" - so it means something like "froggy"

Claudia

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Hi rigel10

yes: it is a Dutch word and yes: I am German.:)

But I have lived in the netherlands for several years, so dutch really is sort of my second language and I particularly love this word as it is so onomatopoeic.
The German Word would be "Fröschchen" or "Fröschlein".

regards,
Claudia

·
Registered
264 Posts
I thought about it as I want some of those M. nigricans but LLL isn't guaranteeing shipping with weather under 35.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have seen most places won't guarantee live arrival if weather is less than 35-45F. Does anyone have any knowledge on the shipping success/failure rate when weather isn't great?

·
Banned
84 Posts
that is a very impressive build. must be a great focal point in the home, well done.

I know you said you like the idea of having climbing mantella for your setup but you have chosen the wrong ones to keep in there for that reason alone!. unless your tank is 15 - 20' deep to actually benefit seeing them do this in action what was the point?
it is a shame you have bought, though still lovely to have mind, the M. laevigata now as i'm sorry to say that you would have got this situation with other mantella sp which perform this ascending action and having them on show mostly too. goldens would have been a good choice due to them being a very bold and active frog which would have utilised most of the viv but I would have recommended (If had seen your earlier post that is) the blue-legged mantella for your setup as they would have been all over it as what was to be your ideal scenario for this paludarium.

however I am sure you will get much pleasure from your frogs :)

good luck with the upkeep

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Hi,

thank you for your positive words about my tank! :)

I know you said you like the idea of having climbing mantella for your setup but you have chosen the wrong ones to keep in there for that reason alone!. unless your tank is 15 - 20' deep to actually benefit seeing them do this in action what was the point?
Well - the climbing wasn't the only reason I chose M.laevigata: I also find their breeding habits interesting plus I think their slender build with the big toepads and also their colouration are beautiful!

My tank is almost 26 inches deep in total, the land part (which is situated above and "behind" the little "creek -tank" with the Killifish) is between around 15 and 23 inches deep (it has a curved front, hence the variation in depth).

I already have seen them climbing a bit a few times (on the big root, on the back wall and on the Philodendron), not very high yet but I hope they will use the whole tank in time. :)
Why don't you think they will? Anything I could change, to make them feel more secure? The vines on the walls of course need to grow a bit more, to provide a little more shelter, but otherwise?

Not being able to watch them climbing might be a pity, but I wouldn't mind too much, as long as they have all the space they need and dare using it.

Aside from the slightly worrying fact, that I only ever see one or two of them at the same time and thus cannot be sure, they are all o.k. I don't mind them going about their business secretively ;)

regards,
Claudia

·
Banned
84 Posts
Hi,

thank you for your positive words about my tank! :)

you're welcome

Well - the climbing wasn't the only reason I chose M.laevigata: I also find their breeding habits interesting plus I think their slender build with the big toepads and also their colouration are beautiful!

they are a nice mantella to have as I stated ;)

My tank is almost 26 inches deep in total, the land part (which is situated above and "behind" the little "creek -tank" with the Killifish) is between around 15 and 23 inches deep (it has a curved front, hence the variation in depth).

15 - 20'(feet) I mean to warrant seeing them do their thing

I already have seen them climbing a bit a few times (on the big root, on the back wall and on the Philodendron), not very high yet but I hope they will use the whole tank in time. :)
Why don't you think they will? Anything I could change, to make them feel more secure? The vines on the walls of course need to grow a bit more, to provide a little more shelter, but otherwise?

Not being able to watch them climbing might be a pity, but I wouldn't mind too much, as long as they have all the space they need and dare using it.

I am sure these will utilise all the space you have given them esp' with more plant growth you'll get in there.

Aside from the slightly worrying fact, that I only ever see one or two of them at the same time and thus cannot be sure, they are all o.k. I don't mind them going about their business secretively ;)

as most have stated about them not being a bold species it is still rewarding when you catch a glimpse of them.

regards,
Claudia
my initial point was that you don't actually need the climbing mantella as a species to make use of the space in a viv :)

all the best with the husbandry

nic

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
O.k. so I remain hopeful, they like it in there and will thrive - thanks nic! :)

Claudia

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Claudia,

Are you able to keep any track of any individuals or monitor who is feeding and who might not? What are you feeding? I think it might be a good idea if you were to place a piece of fruit in an open area of your enclosure. This will likely cause fruit flies to congregate and lure your frogs out into the open where you can look for identifying characteristics and possibly see multiple individuals at the same time.
I think you might have my profile mixed up with someone else's. I do not have a Phelsuma pictured as an avatar and no I am not Dutch. I do keep a couple of day geckos though. I have a Koch giant day and an electric blue. I used to be more into geckos and I still think they are great ,but currently frogs are my passion. I know you have a lot of experience with geckos, but welcome to the frog world

Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi Steve,

I think you might have my profile mixed up with someone else's. I do not have a Phelsuma pictured as an avatar and no I am not Dutch. I do keep a couple of day geckos though. I have a Koch giant day and an electric blue. I used to be more into geckos and I still think they are great ,but currently frogs are my passion. I know you have a lot of experience with geckos, but welcome to the frog world
I guess in this bit you are referring to post No. 20 ? (quoted below)

Hi Steve,

thanks, that was the answer I was hoping for! :)
As this means I do see different frogs, if only just one at a time. I'm seeing them more and more now - espacially the biggest one with the bronzed legs (I think ;)).

@ daggekko (are you dutch originally?):

thanks a lot! :)

BTW: which Phelsuma is that on your avatar-picture? Perhaps v-n. pasteuri or possiblyrobertmertensi - one of yours??

regards,
Claudia
the part about being Dutch and the gekko-Avatar was directed to the user daggekko.:)

Are you able to keep any track of any individuals or monitor who is feeding and who might not? What are you feeding? I think it might be a good idea if you were to place a piece of fruit in an open area of your enclosure. This will likely cause fruit flies to congregate and lure your frogs out into the open where you can look for identifying characteristics and possibly see multiple individuals at the same time.
That's an idea. I will try that as soon as I get back from my vacation - thanks.:)

I'm feeding mainly Drosophila melanogaster, Drosophila hydei and Springtails. Aside from that there are two sorts of aphids, micro-crickets and some white isopods available, which I give them now and then.

Also there should be some assorted "german" springtails, woodlice etc. in there, as I collected leaves, moss and so forth from the neighbouring wooods.

regards,
Claudia

21 - 36 of 36 Posts