Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 gal 5'x18"x26" tank that I brought with me when I moved. Unfortunately it got a small crack near the bottom and I do not want to risk it breaking open by doing another aquarium. I have been doing a lot of research and reading and decided I want to try a terrarium. I'm going to keep this one simple and not include a water feature, mainly because of the cracked glass. My artistic skills are somewhat lacking so I also plan on going with a GS background. Later on, I may try rock walls and waterfalls, but this first one will be a learning experience to build on. I have read probably hundreds of threads on this site and others and I still have a few questions.
1. Air flow/fans - Would 2 60mm fans (one in each corner) provide enough air flow and keep the glass relatively clear?
2. Misting - using a Mistking system, is 1 ft spacing between nozzles sufficient?
3a. Frogs - I want something that would utilize most of the space. My favorite so far is D. auratus 'Costa Rica', but I'm also leaning towards D. leucomelas. I don't want to go overboard with quantity to allow sufficient space for individual territiories, so I'm thinking 6-10. Any thoughts?
3b. Would any design aspects encourage the frogs to climb more, i.e. shelfs or a stair type background? I am already planning on having several branches and vines for plants, maybe a large rock on the bottom that will stick out above the plants/leaf matter.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
It is obvious you have done diligent research. How bad is that crack? There will be water that accumulates in/under the FB(false bottom). If the tank cannot hold water it is sadly a large risk. Perhaps you can doctor the crack with an aquarium silicone?

As for fans, I don't use them so I will not speculate for your sake, lol!

Misting systems, I use my hand, so again, sorry, not much help to you there.

Frogs; taking into consideration what you want out of the frogs, D. leucomelas is a great choice. Another option I am fond of repeating is P. vittatus. These are beautiful frogs. Communal, and will utilize all of the enclosure. However, in my experience, they are more ground dwelling on average.

Best of luck! Keep us updated when you start the build!

JBear

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fans are alright but make sure you don't have too much air flow or your enclosure will be very dry.

Also be careful with overstocking your frogs. Dendrobates females can be quite territorial. Any member of the species phyllobates do really well in communal keeping. I personally like p. bicolor.;)

Most darts probably do not need "stairs". They will go around the bromeliad foliage just fine.:)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Fans are alright but make sure you don't have too much air flow or your enclosure will be very dry.
Sorry, but I want to address this. Fans are very beneficial to your system. Your plants will be healthier, your frogs will be healthier, and even the air will smell fresher. Here is a good thread discussing the benefits. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/66545-internal-air-circulation.html
Second, an internal circultion fan will NOT lower your overall humidity level. All it's doing is moving the air around. It will help with defogging the glass and removing droplets of standing water from the plants but your overall humidity level will stay the same. When we use fans in vivs we are aiming at recirculation. We are not pulling dry air into the viv or forcing humid air out of the viv.
Last, to answer the OPs question about if 2 60mm fans are enough, this question cannot possibly be answered. There are different CFM's available in the same size. I have one 60mm fan that only moves about 8 CFM and I have others that push 21.5 CFMs (Cubic Feet per Minute). I find my 21.5 CFM fans to be sufficient for my 25 gallon vivs, fairly sufficient for my 50 gallon 2' x 2' x 2' vivs, but not enough for my 75 gallon 2' x 2' x 3' tall viv. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The crack is small, nothing I would worry about in a viv. It's about 2 1/2" from the bottom. With a false bottom around 3", I don't think too much water will accumulate to cause any issues. Since I can't drill this tank for drainage, I plan on setting up a small area in the front to suction water out as needed.

I have a new question regarding vents. Are vents necessary for a viv to get fresh air in, or will good air circulation inside the viv take care of this? My original plan was to have at least one fan pulling in fresh air, but after these replies I am rethinking my setup.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Neither vents, nor internal circulations are entirely necessary. They are both good ideas though, and can help with the overall health of your viv. Having vents will also help with temperatures and will also allow your frogs to be able to utilize and self regulate some evaporative cooling.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use 2 40mm fans in my 55gal viv and they do very well keeping the glass clear. Its the only tank I use them in out of 9. They have been running for over a year now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, but I want to address this. Fans are very beneficial to your system. Your plants will be healthier, your frogs will be healthier, and even the air will smell fresher. Here is a good thread discussing the benefits. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/66545-internal-air-circulation.html
Second, an internal circultion fan will NOT lower your overall humidity level. All it's doing is moving the air around. It will help with defogging the glass and removing droplets of standing water from the plants but your overall humidity level will stay the same. When we use fans in vivs we are aiming at recirculation. We are not pulling dry air into the viv or forcing humid air out of the viv.
Last, to answer the OPs question about if 2 60mm fans are enough, this question cannot possibly be answered. There are different CFM's available in the same size. I have one 60mm fan that only moves about 8 CFM and I have others that push 21.5 CFMs (Cubic Feet per Minute). I find my 21.5 CFM fans to be sufficient for my 25 gallon vivs, fairly sufficient for my 50 gallon 2' x 2' x 2' vivs, but not enough for my 75 gallon 2' x 2' x 3' tall viv. Hope that helps.
Wow. I didn't know that.

Oh well, learn something new every day.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts