Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering many treefrogs and Xenopus are active at night, I'd like to install a good moonglow bulb. I have a soon to be Hylid tank that is
20" tall, by 13" wide, and 18" deep. I haven't built the hood yet, and that is why I'm asking. There will be 2 power compact 55 watt bulbs, 1 10,000K and 1 5000 K bulb.

I have three options: T-Rex moonglow bulb, lots of blue LED lights, or blue actinic blue bulb.

If I install a moonglow bulb into the hood, what size should I get? I just want to be very careful not to damage the CF bulbs from heat, if they are close to the incandescent bulb. The other problem I'm having is the position of the bulb. The stronger floodlights need to be placed vertical, not horizontal like the CF.

My other option is LED, but I would think I need a ton of those plus lots of adapters.

I think maybe a 9 watt blue actinic is a good idea, but I don't want it to keep my treefrog asleep.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm actually in the process of doing this on my FW aquarium. I bought a 10pack of ~420nm (wavelength of moonlight) blue LED's off of ebay. THese give off a lot of light and mimic naturaly moonlight pretty well...might want to give it a try if you're into DIY projects :D

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
LOL...well i haven't finished making it yet. But the parts are really cheap. You can get some resistors and a 12v adapter at Radioshack and then wire it together. The cool thing is that you can fit the LEDs between your existing flourescents without taking apart the hood.

Here's a good site explaining how to wire them:
http://www.twoengineers.com/Richard/leds.html

-Luke

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Doug,

I use those Black phosphorus coated spot lights you can get at Petsmart (basicly a black light). Two 15 watt bulbs on my 135. I played around with several different "noctural" viewing lights and found these to be the best, as they have no effect on my RETF's pupils.

I don't know about blue lights for a viv, but probably worth a shot. For my reef tank I got a set of cold-cathode computer case lights off e-bay for about 10$ shipped. Check them out, they are pretty cool (and very little heat).

Jay

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I went to this site called "Chuck's Planted Aquarium" and saw it. Definitely a moonglow or actinic blue would be great on a Xenopus tank, as the water is so deep, and such a wide tank (100 gal). A single 13 PCF would probably work very well.

Huh. If I can find some way to orient the black phosphor bulb in my hood properly, without it burning or damaging the CF, that'd be great.

I don't think I'm going to be able to find Heterixalus alboguttatus, so I'd like to go with the classic, symbol of the Amazon, Agalychnis callidryas.

Jason, could you a post a pic of the inside of your hood?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts