Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been with no power since sat at like 5 pm. I have been running a generator to keep some heat in the frog room but can't put the lights on with everything else I need to run. You think the frogs will make it without light for what is almost four days? I try and allow sunlight in but it is not enough for all my tanks...not sure what to do at this point so I thought i would share my hell....I am keeping my fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I Think the frogs will be fine without light,keep in mind that most of our frogs live on the forest floor,which doesn't get enough light to support most plants:eek:

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Temps are what is important. They only need light for feeding but if your frogs have been well fed, they can easily go 4 days without feeding. Let me tell you why. With the lights out, your frogs more or less "shut down". They will be much less active, thus burning less calories. I shipped 4 Thumbnail Vanzolini into New York this year. It was the last time I ever used USPS for shipping frogs as they lost them for 10 days! Fortunately, they were well packed and temps held out, because they survived the 10 days with no food! They are currently breeding under the care of Richard (Woodsman).
If you are really concerned that they feed, set up a flashlight in a stationary position for an hour.
They do not rely on light for vitamin D production the way lizards do.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hot Water Bottles

I went for 36 hours without power in NJ, and just got the internet back.

I put a hot water bottle in each frog tank to radiate some warmth. I used some Mason Jars and plastic covers I had laying around. Seems to have worked...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hot Water Bottles

I went for 36 hours without power in NJ, and just got the internet back.

I put a hot water bottle in each frog tank to radiate some warmth. I used some Mason Jars and plastic covers I had laying around. Seems to have worked...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advise all.... My space heater seems to be working on the temps just fine. I did feed but it was not that easy because I can't see much but all tanks got something. I have froglets walking out of the water I hope they can handle this....

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hope all works out well for you. That blows that mother natures slammed the east coast with a crazy snow storm. Wish I could share some of this Cali sunshine with you :)

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
You're not alone. I'm still w/o power. I normally keep the window shades closed, but they're opened now to let in at least some natural light during the day. I run a generator for a few hrs in the morning to heat the house up and for hot water, then again in the evening until we go to sleep.

Don't forget about keeping your feeders warm too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am keeping the frog room warm and at this point the days are hot enough to not need a heater but some of my plants are taking a hit now. I saw PSE&G today and they said that it may be on today or it may come back Sunday.......:mad:....Please be today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts